Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 09 Jun 2022 13:00:50 GMT by
Hi received a letter to say am due a refund but the cheque wasn’t given an option to claim online the Cheque is being sent to tax returned LTD so when or how do I get my refund?
Posted Fri, 10 Jun 2022 12:04:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If we have issued the repayment to Tax Returned Ltd, we will have received a claim form authorising the repayment to be sent to them. They will deduct their fees from the repayment and issue a repayment to you.
You would need to contact them for an update.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 01 Jul 2022 12:21:02 GMT by
Hi there, I have a cheque that has been received in end of year 2018. I didn't notice any deadline on it for me to claim back. And I tried to claim it through the bank in China as I am now back to China already. But the staff told me it is expired. What should I do next? I have try to call the number found on HM R&C official website. But unfortunately I can't get in. I do not live in Englad at the moment. Could you please help me get another cheques or repayment to my current address? And I also still have my Barclays account. I can also receive it through post. Thanks in advance for your answer. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 04 Jul 2022 10:53:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 24

The repayments that we issue are valid for 6 months, if it is now out of date you will need to contact our Income Tax department to request a replacement.

We do have an International number that you can call:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Jul 2022 11:59:12 GMT by
Hello, I recently received a check for a Tax Return in my previous house.I guess I didn't update HMRC in time about the change of address.However, I have two questions: why did I not received any email or notification whatsoever?I mean, if it wasn't for my former flatmate I would have never got to know about the check, hence no chance of getting my money back.Second, why not a tranfer to my account?is it possible to do that instead?is it possible that in 2022 HMRC doesn't use internet? Tommaso
Posted Wed, 06 Jul 2022 10:55:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Correspondence regarding refunds are issued by post.

If it is not from a Self Assessment Tax Return, a P800 calculation would be issued inviting you to claim online and
if you do not claim the refund our system issues a cheque.

If we have issued a cheque we would only be able to cancel the cheque and send a replacement.

You will need to contact our Income Tax department to allow us to cancel the original cheque.

See link:

Income Tax: general enquiries  .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 06 Jul 2022 15:24:55 GMT by
Hi, thanks for your answer but actually I have been away from UK for quite a long time and my uk passport has been expired. As the HMRC asks me for these general info which I can't provide, how can I change/update my address for a replacement without these personal details? I have applied a new account for it which is . Could you please let me know anything else I can provide instead. Thanks!

[Personal information removed - Admin]
Posted Wed, 06 Jul 2022 20:39:06 GMT by E Morgan
Hi there, would I be able to nominate my agent on the r40 form so that they receive the cheque? If so, would the cheque then be in agent's name ? Thanks
Posted Thu, 07 Jul 2022 13:48:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 24

It may be best to send us a letter, advising of the up to date information for you and mentioning the out of date cheque.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Jul 2022 15:25:33 GMT by
Hi, Thanks for you advise. I wonder if I should attach a copyright of my cheques? Or anything else can help about person info? I also have my Insurance number letter and BRPletter from home office. And I can also send you the copyright of tax refund letter from your department. Please let me know if it's better to attach the copyright of them. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 08 Jul 2022 14:01:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 30

We would not need a copy of the cheque, in your letter if you confirm your personal details along with the National Insurance Number, and the amount that the cheque was for.

Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 11 Jul 2022 15:49:09 GMT by
Hi again, Thank you for your patient answer. I would like to confirm the info I'm gonna show in letter which includes my National insurance number and the amount of cheque. Is that all you advised or HMRC Tax department need? I also wonder whether a updated address is needed for the replacement? Please let me know if there is anything else should be provided. Thanks for your help!
Posted Tue, 12 Jul 2022 12:29:31 GMT by
Hi, I have an issue that I cannot seem to resolve, I do not have access to my email registered with my government gateway login and do not have the details for it any longer, when I did have access, I read that i was sent a cheque to an old address, how do I get a new cheque reissued to my new address if i don't even have access to the details of when it was for etc? thanks.
Posted Wed, 13 Jul 2022 11:29:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you could also include your name, and the updated address.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 13 Jul 2022 16:52:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Yussif
If you contact our Income Tax department, we can send a request to cancel the old cheque and send a replacement.
Income Tax: general enquiries
Posted Thu, 14 Jul 2022 04:10:34 GMT by
Hi, I would like to ask can I cancel a cheque. Instead of receiving one, I would like to authorize my husband instead to receive it through his UK bank account as he still residing there while I am already here in Canada. Is that possible? Thank you
Posted Fri, 15 Jul 2022 10:46:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Gian Karla Isidro

When sending a request to cancel the cheque, we can only send a replacement to your husband by cheque.
You will need to contact our Income Tax department to provide his details.
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 23 Jul 2022 10:57:21 GMT by
Hi, I have a cheque sent on last week but I’m not sure if it’s been send to the right address, what do I do in this case as I have no access to my previous address?
Posted Mon, 25 Jul 2022 12:53:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Sebastian Greco,
If you believe it may have been sent to the wrong address, you will need to contact our Income Tax helpline.

See link:

Income Tax: general enquiries    .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 26 Jul 2022 10:26:32 GMT by
Good morning I received a cheque for my tax refund which I paid into my bank. However, after getting married in 2016 I changed my name on my bank account, or so I thought. It seems that after an error at the banks end, they changed my name on my cards and online etc but not on my actual account so they said my cheque is being returned. Where will my cheque be returned to? And will I still be able to pay it into my account once the bank has sorted out my issue? Or can I call hmrc and ask them to pay it direct into my bank account? I don’t have all the forms of I.D that is required tho that’s why I didn’t do that from the start. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.