Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:33:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You would need to check with the bank if they are returning it to you.

If they are not, you will need to contact our Income Tax department and we can send a request to cancel the cheque
and send a replacement.

See link:

Income Tax: general enquiries  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 26 Jul 2022 13:04:42 GMT by
Thank you for your reply. I did ask the gentleman I spoke to from the bank and he seemed not to have a clue. I did write my name and address on the back of my cheque when I sent it so I’m hoping they do return it to me. But so far I’ve received nothing back from them. Kind Regards.
Posted Mon, 08 Aug 2022 12:10:45 GMT by
Hi, I have sent a letter with my personal info and updated address to HMRC in 22nd July following your previous advice. But I haven't got any response till today. I am not sure whether it's normal to take such period of time to send me a new cheque, or could you let me know if there is anything else I should do? Thanks! Lan
Posted Tue, 09 Aug 2022 10:54:34 GMT by
Hi Lan Zhuo, 

The current timescales are up to 11 weeks to issue a replacement cheque.

Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 09 Aug 2022 15:34:39 GMT by
Hi, I have the same problem as my colleague above, my tax return for 2020-2021 was sent at the end of October 2021 to the old address, only at the beginning of June this year I saw on my Gateway personal account that I had a refund. I have already called the helpline 2 times to find out when I will get a return to the new address. Unfortunately, I cannot find such information anywhere. I've been waiting for 10 weeks and I still don't know if someone from hmrc help line -who I talked to confirmed the check was sent. Calling you do not know the date when the check will be sent? I'm already writing all emails to hmrc and still don't have an answer? Is it forbidden on your part to inform you when the check will be? And 11 weeks does not mean anything to me since I have no confirmation. Can you find out more about it ?? Thank you very much!!
Posted Tue, 09 Aug 2022 15:58:33 GMT by
Hi I've had a cheque sent to an old address which I can not access, I've requested a replacement to be sent to my new address, would this be a lengthy process or is it just the case of sending a new one. I'm just wondering what the time scale is. What's the minimum it can take. Is there anything I can do to speed the process like a bank transfer. Thank you for your response in advance.
Posted Wed, 10 Aug 2022 11:48:40 GMT by
Anyone answering questions here ???
Posted Wed, 10 Aug 2022 13:24:33 GMT by
I am also waiting for something similar. The unfortunate thing is that HMRC wants to stick to outdated procedures, like sending cheques that no bank in Europe takes. I called their helpline several times, but they insist on cheques and keep confirming they don't do bank transfers. So i guess all our refunds are lost......
Posted Thu, 11 Aug 2022 11:43:41 GMT by
Hi, Thanks for your answer. But I probably won't stay for another 11 weeks in my current address which has been sent to your department by letter. Could you pls give me some advice about anything I can do now? Is that possible to send me a replacement of cheque to an address in PRC China? Should I send HMRC another letter to describe my current situation for help? Thank you! Lan
Posted Thu, 11 Aug 2022 11:44:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

If we send a request to cancel a cheque and send a replacement, it will currently take around 11 weeks for a replacement to be issued.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 14 Aug 2022 04:10:58 GMT by
Hi, could you please let me know whether I should send another to cancel the replacement to the address which won't last 11 weeks? Or should I send another letter to update the address which can last 11 weeks for the whole process to be completed? or there is any other suggestions you can give me? Thanks for you answer!
Posted Mon, 15 Aug 2022 10:53:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

I would send another letter or contact our helpline to advise:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Aug 2022 17:04:25 GMT by
Hi, I have a cheque from HMRC, And I don’t have a bank account.. Where might I cash this or can I pay it into my partners bank account?
Posted Thu, 18 Aug 2022 13:42:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

If you are unable to cash the cheque, you can contact our helpline to request we issue a replacement in your partners name.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 24 Aug 2022 22:20:24 GMT by
Hello, I was issued a replacement cheque on the 29th of July after the original was lost in the post, i was told it could take up to 11 weeks for replacement to arrive, can anyone tell me on average how long replacements take to come? also is this quite a common thing to happen and if so is it possible even my replacement cheque will not arrive at all within the 11 weeks? Thanks Conan
Posted Tue, 30 Aug 2022 15:00:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

When we advise of a timescale, that is the timescale we have been given which is based on how long it takes for these requests to be processed.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 31 Aug 2022 21:53:52 GMT by
Hello, I have recently received an HMRC cheque due to repayment of income tax (tax year 2021-2022). However, I do not live in the UK anymore but in the Netherlands. I cannot cash the cheque to my English banking account. Could you pay this amount directly to my UK's account? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 01 Sep 2022 15:51:35 GMT by
Hi Serge Evseev,

You will need to contact our Income Tax team to query this. 

You can find the contact details here: 

Income Tax: general enquiries

Posted Tue, 06 Sep 2022 12:20:48 GMT by
Hi, Thanks for you pacient. I've tried to call the helpline for several times in past 3 weeks but still can not get into the service. I wonder whether I can send another letter with my current address in China to HMRC? I am not sure whether it is possible for HMRC to send me a tax cheque replacement to China like I have received before. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 09 Sep 2022 13:49:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

We can send a replacement to China.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.