Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 13 Mar 2022 22:28:02 GMT by
Hello I have a similar issue to many - tax refund issued by cheque, I live in Australia and cannot bank. I note it is possible to nominate a person with bank account in UK for re-issue of the cheque. Please advise where/how I nominate? thank you
Posted Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:06:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You would nominate the person by contacting our Income Tax team:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 17 Mar 2022 03:24:45 GMT by
Hi To progress with my 'Income Tax: general enquiry' it seems I need to create a Government Gateway account. I started to do this but cannot continue as I do not have 2 of the 3 pieces of ID required, as I do not live in the Uk and have not done for 17 years. Am I correct in thinking this is the only way I can proceed online? Is my other option to call the tax helpline? 0300 200 3300? Please be aware this is really frustrating as I am being sent around in circles with instructions to use a system that I am not able to access. Kind regards Jayne
Posted Fri, 18 Mar 2022 15:27:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You would need to do this by contacting our Income Tax helpline or in writing, there is a separate number if you are calling from outside the UK.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 23 Mar 2022 03:35:54 GMT by
Thank you. I called the number for those outside the UK. My call got through after waiting less than 5 mins. I spoke with an officer who was very familiar with my issue. I was able to provide details of a nominated person in the UK for the re-issue of my cheque and have been advised that this may take up to 11 weeks. I don't mind this as this time I have confidence that I have spoken to the right section and the matter will finally be resolved. Thanks for your guidance
Posted Tue, 12 Apr 2022 16:09:19 GMT by Catalin Carpinisan
Hi I've received a cheque for refund, I left Uk 2 years ago and my bank account was closed.Can I nominate a friend of mine to get my refund and where he should go? Many thanks !
Posted Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:07:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you contact our Income Tax department, and advise your friend's name and address, we can send a replacement.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:35:04 GMT by
Hi, I have a tax refund cheque but there isn't my full name so I couldn't cash that cheque. I need reissue but im not living in UK and I couldn't call as its abroad call is there any other contact method?
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:32:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you contact our Income Tax team we can request a replacement.

Please mention that you are unable to cash the cheque as it is not in your full name.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 03 May 2022 19:20:52 GMT by ildy Kovacs
Hi, I hope you can help me. I have a cheque about my tax refund but it is already expiried. Can I claim a replacement cheque in a letter? Unfortunatelly my english is not too good in phone (I am Hungarian). Sorry for that. Thank you reply in advance
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 14:49:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You can claim a replacement by contacting our Income Tax department :

Income Tax: general enquiries   .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 19:15:18 GMT by ildy Kovacs
Thank you very much
Posted Mon, 16 May 2022 13:53:54 GMT by
Hi I have been waiting 9 weeks for a tax rebate reissued cheque why is it taking so long and is it possible to get them to cancel it and directly pay the money into my account. Would phoning actually help?.
Posted Tue, 17 May 2022 10:46:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you contact our helpline, we can advise of the position of the repayment and any options regarding issuing the repayment.

See link:

Income Tax: general enquiries   .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 06 Jun 2022 02:41:20 GMT by
I would like to ask about tax refund cheque replacement especially whether you can issue the replacement with dividing into some number of cheques or not. I have a tax refund cheque which already spent more than six months and has more than 500 pounds amount. So I want to request the replacement of it, but I have already leave the UK. Even though, I still have the access to the mobile banking app which allows to deposit the cheque if it were less than five hundred pounds. So I would like to ask you issue the replacement cheque with dividing into some of it less than 500pounds to deposit using mobile banking app, if I could. I would be happy if I could get reply.
Posted Tue, 07 Jun 2022 11:07:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

We would only be able to split the amount if this was a repayment was from Self Assessment.

You will need to contact our Income Tax department to discuss requesting a replacement.

See link:

Income Tax: general enquiries     .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 07 Jun 2022 12:46:02 GMT by
Thank you for your reply I would like to ask you what the Self Assessment you said above is. Is that same procedure when I claim tax return on the HMRC app? Or another specific one? I would be happy if I could got a reply. Thank you
Posted Wed, 08 Jun 2022 12:26:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Yuichiro Kasama
A Self Assessment is a tax return form that you complete for a year if you meet the criteria.
If you received the refund without completing any online or paper form then your repayment would be from our Income Tax department.
Thankyou.
Regards.

Posted Wed, 08 Jun 2022 13:13:40 GMT by
Hello, I have received a letter from HMRC say I am owed a tax rebate and the cheque has been sent to rebate gateway limited how long would I expect for me to receive this payment if the cheque has been sent to them?
Posted Thu, 09 Jun 2022 11:26:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

We would expect them to receive the cheque within 3 weeks of the date it was issued.

We can't advise how long it would take them to process this before contacting you.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.