Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 14 Jul 2021 10:52:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 26
Hi,

Not all repayments can be claimed online.

If your cheque has been issued we can't reverse this to allow you to claim online.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 19 Jul 2021 04:38:13 GMT by
I was informed yesterday that I will get a cheque for a tax refund. When I filled out my P85 for 2020-2021 form I requested any refund go to my nominated person. Will this still be the case or will the cheque still be sent to me? As I have no way of cashing a cheque, this is why I wrote my nominated person on my form.
Posted Mon, 19 Jul 2021 05:00:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

If you have a nominated person on the form, then this is where the cheque will be sent. 

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 20 Jul 2021 16:45:07 GMT by
Hi, I have recently got married and changed my surname. I have got as far as changing my name with my bank, but not yet with HMRC and I have received a cheque in my maiden name. I will check with my bank in the morning if they can still take it, but if they can’t how do I go about changing my name and receiving a new cheque in that name ? Thanks
Posted Fri, 23 Jul 2021 13:49:22 GMT by
Hi Diane Tate,

You can contact our Income Tax team to update the name, we can then send a cancellation request for a replacement cheque in the updated name.

Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 25 Jul 2021 21:49:29 GMT by
Hi, I have recently filled out my P85 form. However, I am no longer living in UK so I have added my UK bank address in the receiving address part. The problem is their is no place in the online form to add my account number or the IBAN , how will the bank be able to recognize my account when they receive it ? is their any other more secure way to receive my cheque?
Posted Sun, 25 Jul 2021 22:14:29 GMT by
Hi, I would like also to ask if I can change the address to which the cheque will be posted ?
Posted Sun, 25 Jul 2021 22:18:26 GMT by
Hi again, sorry I need to make sure that the posted cheque will include my full name including the middle names please, so how can I confirm that ?
Posted Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:51:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

We can only issue a cheque for a P85 repayment, and we can only send that to you or a nominated person.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:53:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

You will need to contact our Income Tax department to request we send the cheque to another address or in another name. See link below:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

Posted Sat, 31 Jul 2021 19:42:44 GMT by
Hi - was clearing an old folder and came across a cheque I hadn't cashed in, issued in 2013 for a PAYE tax refund (2011/2012). Is it too late to get it re-issued? I have moved address from where the cheque was sent. Any advice welcome. Thank you
Posted Mon, 02 Aug 2021 11:40:36 GMT by
I received a letter from HMRC dated 6 May 2021 informing me that a refund would be sent to me 'shortly'. I realise there are delays due to Covid, etc. but how much longer should I wait before chasing up?
Posted Wed, 04 Aug 2021 09:48:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Mary Kouba,

Due to the length of time from the letter you should contact the department that sent you the letter.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 Aug 2021 10:09:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

ACan13 Can,

If its for Income tax you should contact our Income tax department, we should still have a record of the refund and be able to cancel and reissue.

Thank you.

Posted Sun, 08 Aug 2021 11:13:38 GMT by
I`ve applied online for a tax refund because of leaving UK, When I tried to check track the form, they mentioned that the form processing completed. How could I know if I granted a refund or not ?
Posted Tue, 10 Aug 2021 12:27:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

If you have not received any correspondence and its been more than 3 weeks since you saw completed, contact us using the link below:

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:17:22 GMT by
Hi there, I got a tax refund cheque from HMRC last month, since I am not in the UK at the moment, so I was wondering does this cheque have a valid date? Should I claim it in 6 months from the day it was issued? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 23 Nov 2021 13:44:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 26
Hi,

The cheque is valid for 6 months from issue.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 02 Dec 2021 18:14:07 GMT by
Hi I have received a cheque for Tax refund. I shifted to Netherlands in July where cheques are not accepted and I dont know anyone in UK as well to make them nominee but I have a UK bank account. Can I get my refund in my bank account?
Posted Fri, 03 Dec 2021 16:55:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ashwini Karnatak,

You will need to contact Income tax as the process is to send a cheque to you or to a nominee, you may need to check if you can send a cheque to your UK bank as we can no longer send a cheque directly to them:

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.