Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:09:44 GMT by
Hello, I’ve changed my address, but I still received my cheque on the old address, I was lucky the woman living there sent it on the post to my new address, but why does this keep happening?
Posted Sat, 17 Sep 2022 09:36:54 GMT by
Hello, I received a cheque back in July and I am trying to figure things out because it is the first time I have received one. I tried to request online but it didn't work. I am not sure what to do next. Whoever I ask they have different opinions—even in my workplace like to take it to any bank account, but I'm not sure that it works. Can you please advise me on how to claim my refund back? Thank you in advance.
Posted Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:08:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

KatherynLP ,

This may be down to the address we held at the time of the calculation,

I can't advise of the exact reason as we can't access your record from this forum.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:13:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Steph_Pap,

If a cheque has been issued, you will need to pay this into a bank account in your name.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 22 Sep 2022 21:23:55 GMT by
Hi, When we advise of a timescale, that is the timescale we have been given which is based on how long it takes for these requests to be processed. Thank you. Hello, I am replying to the message above which was a reply to my own message over 4 weeks ago, my question was not answered, it has now been 8 weeks since i ordered a replacement, i understand you said it takes up to 11 weeks for a replacement to be processed but i have a few things i would like to ask please,,. 1. If i do not receive my cheque within 11 weeks am i supposed to wait another 11 weeks then for a further replacement to be sent? surely there has to be something else can be done i mean that's potentially over 6 months to be waiting for a refund that i am due? 2. When you say 11 weeks to be processed is that stating i should receive it within 11 weeks or it will be sent within the 11weeks, because my original letter letting me know of my refund was sent the 16th of June but i did not even receive my letter for another 3 weeks after that, appreciate the response thank you Kind regards Conan
Posted Mon, 26 Sep 2022 13:44:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Conans ,

If it takes the full 11 weeks for us to process the request, it can take up to 3 weeks for it to arrive.

Please allow 14 weeks in total.

Our requests are processed in date order  .

Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 27 Sep 2022 13:32:33 GMT by
Hello, I have just learned that HMRC sent me a cheque for the tax year 2021 - 2022 and 2020-2021. I have not received either of these cheques and my personal details are up to date. Is it too late to claim these tax refunds? if not who do I contact to get them? Many thanks, Matthew
Posted Thu, 29 Sep 2022 19:16:32 GMT by
Hi Conans , If it takes the full 11 weeks for us to process the request, it can take up to 3 weeks for it to arrive. Please allow 14 weeks in total. Our requests are processed in date order . Thank you. Hello, I am replying to the above message to me. I received my cheque today but it looks like it is the original cheque as the date on it is the 17th of June (14 weeks to date received), the date on my P800 tax refund letter is the 16th of June, i was told by HMRC on the phone numerous times that if i received the original while i was waiting for the replacement (sent 29th July) to call in and the original would be reactivated no problem. I have lodged the cheque to my bank yesterday (28th Sep) and want to make sure it clears ok if someone could assist me please, i have tried calling today 5 times and was on hold for an hour each time. Kind regards Conan Byrne
Posted Tue, 04 Oct 2022 10:11:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Matthew5150,

If you contact our Income Tax team we can send a request to cancel the cheques and reissue them.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 04 Oct 2022 12:52:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Conans,

We apologise for your wait, however you would need to speak with our helpline who can confirm if we have cancelled that cheque. If you can call before 10am our helplines are quieter.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 13 Oct 2022 18:14:54 GMT by
Hello, How long do we have to cash a cheque please? Thank you, Nikolas
Posted Sun, 16 Oct 2022 20:29:45 GMT by
Hi, I cannot cash the cheque that I am about to receive. Which are the steps/requirements to nominate a person to be resent the cheque? Thank you, Lorena
Posted Mon, 17 Oct 2022 13:01:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

NikolasGripp ,

Banks will accept them within 6 months.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 21 Oct 2022 08:51:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi loalvarez,

Please contact our Income Tax department to provide the name and address of someone we can send a replacement to

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 27 Oct 2022 10:27:29 GMT by
I received my cheque refund a few days ago but I don’t have a card bank, can I have a nominee receive the money on his bank card?
Posted Mon, 31 Oct 2022 14:01:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

If you are unable to cash the cheque, you will need to contact us to nominate a person for us to send a replacement to. See guidance below:

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 04 Nov 2022 07:07:12 GMT by
I am abroad for the foreseeable future so have no access to a bank. i have a cheque that needs cashing that is too large for online. is there a way to get it paid in online?
Posted Mon, 07 Nov 2022 12:50:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

You will need to contact the team that issued the repayment for advice.

Contact HMRC

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 07 Nov 2022 14:32:23 GMT by
Hello. I have recieved a cheque for a tax refund but I live in Sweden and no banks here accept foreign cheques. What is your recommendation next for me? Is it possible to get the refund online? I do not have a UK bank account, If I go to London for a day am I able to go to any bank and cash it out in person, to Swedish bank? Thanks in advance for advice.
Posted Thu, 10 Nov 2022 12:53:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

To cash this at a bank in the UK, you will need a UK bank account. If you are unable to do this, you can nominate someone for us to send a replacement cheque to who does have a UK bank account.

You will need to contact our Income Tax team who can advise of all the options available

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.