Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 08:57:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Laneesh Koyadan,
To check on the repayment you will need to contact the Self Assessment Helpline:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 10:47:13 GMT by
My partner received a cheque more than 4 years ago and never cashed it. He feels too embarrassed to call the helpline so I was just wondering if someone could tell me whether there’s a maximum timeframe that cheques can be reissued before I try to encourage him to call the helpline. The amount due was quite a significant amount and it seems a shame that he possibly wouldn’t be able to get this money now since so much time has passed
Posted Tue, 10 Oct 2023 10:05:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi JM09,

You would need to check with the bank if they would accept the cheque from your parents. If not you can return the cheque to HMRC requesting it is paid to a nominee in the UK who can then cash the cheque and transfer the money. You would need to include the name and address of the nominee when your return the cheque to:

Self Assessment & PAYE,
BX9 1AS. 

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 12 Oct 2023 09:40:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Alice Eckersley,"

Carrwood Ltd shoud pass the repayment on to you. You will need to contact Carrwood Ltd. 

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:05:00 GMT by
Hi, I received a cheque for payable order from HMRC reference number: 7927664943K01. I don't live anymore in UK, and i have closed my bank account. I don't have any trusted person to ask to receive the money on behalf. How can I get money? Gen I cash with my current bank? Thanks 

Name removed admin 
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 09:12:00 GMT by
Hello, when I log in to government page, it says that cheque for tax return was sent in July, but to the wrong address. Would be possible to ask for new cheque and nominate a different person? it is just because my bank account in UK is closed. How I can do that? thank you!
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 11:13:49 GMT by
Good day! I was issued a cheque by HMRC for my tax refund. I’m currently overseas and the bank requires the cheque issuer’s bank name and branch address/details. What bank does HMRC use for cheques issued for tax refunds and what is its address?
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 12:39:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
You will need to contact HMRC to check on the progress of your repayment:
Contact HMRC
Thank you
Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 09:53:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Seun,

You would need to contact HMRC to review. Contact HMRC

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 09:57:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Catherine McNeice,
He would need please to contact HMRC to review.
If they do not want to call they can return the cheque by post with a covering letter to review.
Contact HMRC
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 20 Oct 2023 07:25:44 GMT by Quixotic
I enquired previously how a cheque sent by HMRC could be paid-in when I live overseas and have NO links in the UK and when cheques are no longer accepted in my country of residence. The response was that nothing could be done. HMRC will NOT pay electronically for an old (2021) refund. Cancelling the cheque will make no difference. Anyway, in the end, I took it to a bank here in South Africa and they said the cheque would have to be sent back to HMRC (i.e. to their issuing bank) for clearance first. It was couriered all the way back to HMRC, and expecting a brick wall, it was, surprisingly, processed and cleared. My bank here has now paid the amount into my account. So, it is possible and a pity that the only response provided by HMRC was that it has to be paid/cashed in or from the UK
Posted Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:39:56 GMT by
Hi, I received in the mail a tax refund cheque from HMRC. I cashed it at my Barclays bank, and it bounced (the money went in and immediately left my account). I then received a text from Barlcays saying 'Hi, we've returned one or more cheques unpaid today. We're sending you a letter with more details -- it'll be with you in the next few days' Can you advise me why the cheque HMRC sent me does not work? Barclays have told me to contact HMRC but I have been stonewalled by the phone line and have no other method to contact.
Posted Sun, 22 Oct 2023 04:03:56 GMT by
Hello. I received a letter last month with a refund cheque from 2020-2021 taxes. But this letter came to the old house and it didn't reach me until now. So the cheque has already expired. I have been calling the HMCR phone number all week to request a new cheque but no one answers. How could I contact you ? Or how could I have a new cheque? Thank you in advance
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 16:34:11 GMT by
Hello,my husband have an wxpired cheque ,we moved on another house and we forgot about the cheque recently i found it ...and we see about that more information ,we try to contact hmrc for have another valid cheque ,but no one response ...
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 00:56:20 GMT by
I got a tax calculation letter which says I owes money from hmrc and it also say they will send my cheque with in 14 days of the letter date but not it’s been more than 1 month I haven’t received anything. May I know the reason ?
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 07:30:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sara Collura,
You can contact your current bank to see if they can cash the cheque. 
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 07:58:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Pernakt,
You can contact HMRC to arrange.
Contact HMRC
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 08:41:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Nicole Bautista,
The bank should be able to cash without this inforamtion.
I would contact your bank to review. 
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:39:00 GMT by Leslie Saunders
Hi I wrote several months ago as I sent back my cheque and nominated someone else. How long should the new cheque take ?
Posted Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:54:49 GMT by
Hi, I hope you could help us. My father is a Filipino working as a seaferer in UK, and just recently he recieved a Tax Refund cheque dated 2019, where or how can we ask for replacement and how can we encash it. Thank you,

You must be signed in to post in this forum.