Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 08 Sep 2023 08:50:37 GMT by
Hello, I have moved to Spain so I made a tax refund claim and I got confirmation this week that I will receive a cheque. So this morning I have called HMRC to nominate someone in UK to get the cheque on my behalf. Can he give my uk bank account number to get it paid in there? He is concerned aboud having to pay taxes related with receiving this extra income.
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 14:24:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi .
We would only issue a replacement by cheque.

They would not have to pay tax on the money.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 14:44:00 GMT by
I was told by an advisor that I can go onto my personal tax account and request a bank transfer rather than a cheque, I can not find this anywhere, as he informed me I had 2 cheques posted out, which I never received, he was about to explain but yet again I got cut off after about 3 minutes into call, so frustrating Can someone please explain why, when keep speaking to an adviser after waiting on average over 45 minutes I get cut off by an automated message, saying bye thanks for your call This has happened 3 times in a row now and can not get my tax sorted as an error has been made as I am due cheques/refunds but cant get them
Posted Sun, 17 Sep 2023 18:38:45 GMT by
good afternoon! I received a check for the 2021-2022 tax year, but I moved home to Hungary. My question is, will they transfer it to my account number if I call?
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:07:12 GMT by
How do I verify that a repayment cheque I have received, supposedly from HMRC is not a scam?
Posted Tue, 19 Sep 2023 05:09:21 GMT by Quixotic
I have the same question as the above post regarding Personal Tax Account and the ability to receive a tax refund electronically. I also cannot find this anywhere. I have a refund from 2021 but where I live (South Africa) banks no longer accept physical cheques. I also have no UK bank account nor have anyone I can nominate to accept the cheque on my behalf. Please help
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:54:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
If the refund was a Income Tax rather than Self Assessment, and if we have issued a cheque we will only be able to issue the repayment again by cheque.
You will need to contact the Income Tax helpline again:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you, 
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:36:43 GMT by
I received a letter 8 weeks ago saying I would receive a tax refund cheque. When will I receive this?
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:59:28 GMT by
I have received a cheque for repayment of income tax unfortunately cheques are no longer accepted in South Africa could this amount be paid into my South African bank account with my UK pension payment? If not what alternatives are there ? Regards 
Posted Wed, 27 Sep 2023 10:01:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Olivia Toth
If the repayment was from a P800 tax calculation, we can only send this by cheque.
Posted Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:37:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Peter Brown,

If you contact us we can confirm the repayment amount and when it was issued.

Contact HMRC

Thank you
Posted Thu, 28 Sep 2023 17:15:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Quixotic,

If you are unable to cash the cheque you will need to contact the Income Tax department Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 04:51:23 GMT by
Dear Team, Please I haven't received a cheque for by HRMC on 2 July 2023 for the tax return for 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023. I have tried to ring HMRC several times, but the line always busy. Could you help please.
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 16:40:14 GMT by Alice Eckersley
Hi iv received a letter from the HMRC saying that they owe me money and they have sent me a cheque to carrwood LTD what should I do to get my money
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 23:04:49 GMT by Alice Eckersley
I received a letter from the HMRC saying that they owe me money and they have sent me a cheque to carrwood LTD what should I do to get my money
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 09:27:11 GMT by JM09
I am a UK citizen resident in Spain and I work remotely in Scotland. I received a tax rebate on my earnings by cheque from HMRC and my bank does not accept cheques. Can I send the cheque to my parents and have them pay it in on my behalf? If not, what options do I have?Regards.
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 13:11:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi GrantCav Cavanagh,

The cheque once issued can take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive. If its now been 8 weeks you will need to contact HMRC to review.

Contact HMRC

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 14:04:48 GMT by
Good afternoon, I am Noemi In August 2023, I received a letter (dated June 29, 2023) from HM Revenues & Customs informing me that HMRC owes me taxes/money. In the letter they promised to send a check within the next 2 weeks (or 14 business days). To date - October 3, 2023 - I have not received anything. I've tried contacting +44 135 535 9022 (since I no longer live in London), but I can't get in touch with the staff dealing with this. Could you please help me? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 08:10:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Barry Bowd,

We are not able to pay into an overseas account.
If you still have a UK account you can deposit the cheque there.
The other option is to repay to a nominee.
You would need to write to us with the name and address of the nominee to receive the replacement cheque.
The address is  
Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AS,
United Kingdom.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 17:00:09 GMT by
Good evening. I wrote a letter from Nigeria to HMRC stating that my tax refund cheque should be issued to a different person as I am not in the UK. This letter got delivered on the 23rd of August. Is there any way I can know if the letter truly got to HMRC or if it has been attended to as the recipient has not received the new cheque?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.