Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 01 Nov 2022 01:27:22 GMT by leeyiukong
I live in HK and would like to open an investment account with Interactive Broker UK for investing in securities such as equities and bonds. May I know if the dividend income, bond interest and capital gains/losses from selling of securities subject to UK tax, if I continue to live in HK?
Posted Fri, 04 Nov 2022 09:27:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Any tax deducted from UK investments, is not refundable.  

You would need to claim tax relief in Hong Kong for tax paid in the UK.  

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 06 Nov 2022 02:36:49 GMT by leeyiukong
Thank you. May I also ask if I need to file UK tax returns for the profits and income arising from this investment account? Apart from the withholding tax on dividends that is deducted automatically Thanks
Posted Wed, 09 Nov 2022 15:07:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Articles 10 and 11 of the double taxation agreement, cover dividends and interest and states that they are taxable in Hong Kong.  

As you are not resident in the UK, there would not be a requirement to complete a Self Assessment tax retun for this income.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.