Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2024 22:26:33 GMT by Drgad537
Hello, I wanted to seek your guidance regarding a situation I'm facing. My father, a Syrian businessman, worked on a project with an individual long time ago, who later left Syria for Denmark without paying him. Now, this person wishes to pay my father by sending the first part of the payment to my UK account from his son's account. I have a few questions: 1. Is there a limit on the amount of money I can receive from outside the UK, considering I don't personally know the sender? 2. Do I need to provide evidence regarding the source of the funds? If so, what kind of evidence is required? 3. Are there any tax implications for receiving this payment?
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 10:32:14 GMT by V J
Hi I am an Indian national on tier 2 visa and a UK resident for paying taxes. I will be receiving approx 25000 GBP as help towards the deposit amount for buying a house on mortgage in UK. Do I need to have any documents to submit to HMRC and most importantly Will I have to pay tax on this. I intend to use these funds towards the deposit amount.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 10:42:35 GMT by V J
Edited question. I am an Indian National , living in the UK on tier 2 visa and resident of UK for Tax purposes. My brother from India (citizen of India and resident there for Tax purposes) will be helping me with 25000 GBP by bank transfer to my UK account for buying a house here in the UK. I intend to use it towards the deposit amount for the mortgage. Do I need to submit any documentary evidence to HMRC and most importantly will I pay tax on this amount?

Q 2 .
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 07:40:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Drgad537,
This is not your income, so you would not be taxable in the UK on it.
Your father would be, if he is resident in the UK.
International bank transfers into the UK are monitored by UK banks and building societies, so you may wish to discuss with them.
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 07:47:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Carlos Lopez,
You would need to review the guidance on the UK / Spain tax treaty here:
2014 UK-Spain Double Taxation Convention
Article 1 covers dividends and advises that a resident of the UK, who has dividends arising in Spain, is only taxable on that dividends in the UK.
To ensure that no tax is deducted in Spain, you would need to request a certificate of residence from HMRC, which you can do here:
How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad.
You would send this certificate to the Spanish tax authorities along with their forms to ensure that no tax is deducted from the dividends or claim a repayment of the tax if already paid.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 09:36:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi V J,
There are no Income Tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends.
These would then potentially be subject to tax.
Further guidance can be found here:
Tax on savings interest
Tax on dividends
Your bank may want evidence of it being a gift but you do not need to supply anything to HMRC at this time although you may be asked in the future.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2024 17:17:03 GMT by Shelly Cunliffe
Does anyone know about receiving income from a Foundation (like a Trust) into the UK? Is it the same as a Trust, and how do I go about it please?
Posted Sat, 06 Apr 2024 23:17:17 GMT by Blanka
Hello, I am an EU citizen, have settled status and I'll be eligible for UK citizenship later this year. I have about 15K in an EU bank account that I'd like to transfer to my UK account and close the foreign bank account. Would I need to declare it to HMRC or bank or provide any proof of the origin of the money? Would I need to fill in tax self assessment (I've never done it before) and if so how would I do that? Are there any steps I need to take other than completing the actual transfer? Thanks,
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:03:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Blanka,

If the savings in the overseas account arose from income in tax years where you were not resident in the UK, they will not be taxable in the UK. In that case there is nothing to report to HMRC. If the savings generate interest in the tax years you are resident in the UK, this interest is taxable and should be declared.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:51:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Shelly Cunliffe,
You will need to contact the Trust hepline on 0300 123 1072 to clarify.
Thank you, 
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:53:24 GMT by Jonathan Richards
Hi, I have lived in the UAE for 8 years (since the start of 2016). I have recently been made redundant and without another job on the horizon, must return to the UK. My wife has already returned to her parent's house. I am still currently resident in the UAE until May 2024. 1. If I return, can I send my final pay check to my account without it being taxed? As I have no job to come back to either!! And need all my savings. 2. My house was rented out for the last 4 years, with no gaps more than 20 days. Can I sell my house without Captial Gains Tax or a reduced value if the property was bought in 2006 for 410,000 but revalued in 2015 at 850,000 with current 2024 value at 1,024,000?
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 08:12:22 GMT by Vanessa Vazquez
Hi, I have sold an inherited property when my dad died in Spain and paid taxes there. I have the settlement status in UK and want to buy a house here with that money and a mortgage. Do I need to declare that money here? Any taxes or documents I need to fill before moving the money to an UK account? Thanks
Posted Thu, 09 May 2024 06:58:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Jonathan Richards,
1. Yes
2. No, as it was not your main or only residence for the whole period of ownership, there may be some capital gains to pay.
You can find out more here:
HS283 Private Residence Relief (2024)
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 09 May 2024 07:50:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Vanessa Vazquez,
Yes you need to declare the sale to the UK authorities.
You can claim Foreign Tax  Credit Relief for the tax paid in Spain
You can find out more here:
Tax when you sell property
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 07:14:54 GMT by Gino Neil
Hello, I am a UK passport holder. I currently live in Italy but I am moving to the UK in July 2024. I have around £35k that I would like to transer into a UK account. Are there any implications to this? Would I need to pay any tax on this and in general, what are the transer fees, if any. Thank you
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 13:49:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
As long as you were not tax resident in the UK in the tax years in which you earned this money, there will be no tax implications of bringing it to the UK.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.