Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 09 Sep 2021 15:48:41 GMT by Sebastiano Dessanay
Hello, I am having issues in verifying my ID to access several HMRC online services. I've ended up in a vicious cycle which seems to have no end. I am a non-UK self-employed, lived in the country for 13 The online chat was not able to assist and addressed me to the helpline on several 0800 numbers. After several attempts with two different employees they said I had to call the 0300 200 3600 in order to be verified. The latter was not able to help and said I had to Verify my identity through the Verify page. The helpdesk said they cannot verify my identity for the SEISS. I then tried to verify my ID for other online services through Post Office and Digidentity, but they also were not able to verify my ID without a UK passport or UK driving license. I am a European with Settled Status UK-based self employed who cannot access anymore ANY service from the HMRC Gateway Page. I am stuck in a vicious cycle of calling the same numbers over and over without A SINGLE EMPLOYEE able to explain what the issue is. What does this mean?
Posted Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:29:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you cannot pass the IV question due to the Self Assessment question you can call the Self Assessment helpline on 0300 200 3300.

If you cannot pass the IV question or get the error message "unable to verify your identity", you will need to use the option at the bottom of the page, 
Get help with this page.

You will need to provide details of what questions are being asked (for example, credit history ) and what the error message is, and also what you are trying to do and the digital team will reply.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 03 Dec 2021 17:24:52 GMT by vfayolle1
I am in the same situation although not self employed, Have you found a solution in the end?
Posted Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:41:51 GMT by Mohammed Adil Abdul Khadar
I am facing the same issue as the helpline is not willing to offer any help and the website is not accepting my details. Is there any solution to it??
Posted Wed, 15 Dec 2021 12:47:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are unable to get through the verification questions you will not be able to set up an online account.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 17 Feb 2022 14:19:06 GMT by VAmin
Hi hiow do I identity myself if I have uk passport uk driving license and NI number
Posted Thu, 17 Feb 2022 15:45:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You will be asked to verify when you are registering for the Government Gateway account.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 01 Mar 2022 13:44:54 GMT by Katar Olosa
I am having issues in verifying my ID to access several HMRC online services. I do not have a second document which is required to verify my ID. EU passport does not work in this case. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 08 Mar 2022 14:25:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are unable to verify with the questions being asked, you will not be able to access the online account.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 11 Mar 2022 13:47:12 GMT by julie101
I have a a UK bank account, so a bit of due diligence has already been done on who I am, I have a UK home address and am registered for Council Tax, a National Insurance number, a UK driver's license (why would a Northern Irish license be OK?) and a UK passport, yet this is not enough to prove my identity through the online service. How can I do it by mail or phone or any other way? This is frustrating because everything takes you around in circles. Am I being cynical if I suggest this is done on purpose? Please prove me wrong and help. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 14 Mar 2022 11:07:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

We do not have the option to use details for UK drivers license, we are able to use NI information if you have one.

The only way to verify is through the questions being asked online, you can't verify by telephone or by post.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 14 Sep 2022 13:48:44 GMT by Clive Arnold
I am trying to get my wife's details registered for a pension forcast as she reaches state pension age next year as our Welfare Rights Advisor want to try to see what Universal Credit she will be entitled to (which is another inane process as I reach state pension age the year after, so UC for 11 months and then Pension Credit) She has no photo ID, no passport, no driving license (she has epilepsy so isn't allowed to drive) Yet she is in the system as she receives disability benefits. I have Lasting Power of Attorney to deal with her health and financial matters, but it appears that means nothing. The only advice I have been given is to try this support forum, which seems equally unhelpful. A little help please?
Posted Thu, 15 Sep 2022 09:40:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Sorry, we can only answer HMRC questions on this forum.

Please contact the Future Pension Centre for advice.

Contact the Future Pension Centre

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:53:06 GMT by Clive Arnold
They don't reply!
Posted Tue, 01 Nov 2022 12:17:00 GMT by Davsee
Similar to the last poster my wife has tried to register for a Gateway account but she does not have either a driving licence (she is registered blind) or a passport so the ID verification is impossible. Is there any other way to obtain verification of ID to enable her to get a gateway account maybe by post or something? She has been informed that she is due a tax refund and to request payment to her bank through a Gateway account. She has managed to get a gateway account number but can't see any way to get ID verification without the aforementioned documents. It seems crazy that she is in receipt of PIP and ESA but neither of these can be used to verify her ID.
Posted Tue, 01 Nov 2022 17:38:27 GMT by Timber
As per you my wife is in the same position re ID verification (incl being blind). She has a passport but no driving photo driving license and no credit history for herself within the last 5 years. Seems really basic that the benefits she receives cannot be used. As a result we will have to phone , wait who knows how long, for her to talk to someone. If they require info such as the passport nos, I will have to read it her for her to repeat, at which point I am 100% sure they will stop the conversation and say she is potentially under duress and won’t accept what she is saying ( it’s a often occurrence) .
Posted Thu, 03 Nov 2022 17:03:25 GMT by
Hi Davsee,

Please have your wife contact our online support helpdesk at 0300 200 3600.  +44 16 1930 8445 if calling from overseas.  

The lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm.  Closed weekends and bank holidays.

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.