Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 04 May 2023 08:18:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi FrenchLondoner75,

The U1 application form CA3916 can be found in the following link - Get a statement of your National Insurance contributions (CA3916)
You can submit your completed application online, or you can print it and post it to HMRC.
Please see the ‘How to Apply’ section.
If you have already completed the application form, and you have not received a U1 certificate, I can confirm the following timescales for your application are – 
Postal applications – 30 weeks – applications received on 30/09/2022 are currently being processed
Online applications – 3 weeks – applications received on 11/04/2023 are currently being processed
I am sorry to hear that you have been unable to speak to an advisor, our lines are extremely busy at present.
If you have submitted/posted your application, and you sent it before the above timescales, please contact us on +44 19 1203 7010, and we can check if we have received your application. Lines are open from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, it may be easier to get through to an advisor when the lines open at 8am.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 08:38:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Talpone93,

I can confirm that the U1 certificate will be issued to you by post, to the address you supplied on the application form.
The ‘completed’ status means that the form has been completed, if there is any further information we need, we will contact you once your application is processed.
The current timescale for processing your application is 3 weeks, applications received on 17 April 2023 are currently being processed.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 10:35:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Nosnx,

I can confirm that the current timescale for processing an online U1 application is 3 weeks.
Applications received by HMRC on 17 April 2023, are currently being processed.
Once your application has been processed, the U1 certificate would be issued by post to your current abroad address, you would provide this on the application.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 15:05:06 GMT by
Hi, I applied for U1 statement few months ago and I have not received anything yet. What should I do? Many thanks in advance
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 17:37:22 GMT by
Hi! After nearly four years of remote work (from Italy) for an English university, my fix-term contract expired. To claim unemployment benefits in Italy, I need an U1 form. While filling the online form, HMRC is asking me to specify if I have lived in a country other than UK in the last 6 years and details about my residency in the UK. Since I have not been physically resident in UK since June 2018, I would like to understand If I can still apply for an U1 form and claim benefits in Italy. I would also like to understand how are these questions relevant to the application for the U1 form, since I paid taxes in the UK for the last four years as a normal UK resident. Thanks in advance, Niccolo
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 12:06:46 GMT by
Dear HMRC ADMIN Hi! on the 4th of april I submitted the CA3916 (u1 form) i have checked and its status is completed. My question is, how long will take untill I get the form by post where I live in spain? Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you 

Name removed.
Posted Tue, 16 May 2023 18:45:48 GMT by
I applied online for an online U1 Form/CA3916. My process status is since today "complete" however the document is nowhere to be found. Where do I download the doc? Emails? On the HMRC website? PLEASE HELP! My Reference Number AX2-TOWI-FQ3
Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 10:37:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Subires9,

You do not say how you applied for the U1 form.  
If you applied online we are currently working on the 18th of February.  
If you applied through the post we are currently working on the 7th of October 2022.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 14:54:07 GMT by
Sorry, I forgot to specify that.I applied online for an online U1 Form on the 10th January and nothing yet.
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 10:59:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi antonio jose cano cobo
We cannot advise how long the postal service may take to deliver an item of post, whether in the UK or abroad.
We can only ask that you allow what you think would be a reasonable timescale, before progress chasing.
Thankyou.
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 16:02:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi niccolo.rossi
We ask that you complete the application form as best as you can.  
As you were working outside of the UK we will need to investigate whether you were correctly paying UK National Insurance contributions.  
Were you posted from the UK, were you in receipt of a U1.  
The only way we can look into the situation is once you complete the application.  
If your circumstances aren’t fully covered by the application you should include a covering letter of explanation.
Thankyou.

Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 11:43:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Laura,

You will need to contact the online services helpdesk on 0300 200 3600, lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm.
Alternatively, you can do a webchat, see details below –
Technical support with HMRC online services
Monday to Friday 8.00am to 8.00pm
Saturday 8.00am to 4.00pm
Closed bank holidays
 U1 applications are currently taking approximately 4 weeks to process.
The department processing these applications are currently working on forms received on 25/04/2023.

Thank you

Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 14:38:27 GMT by
Dear HMRC Admin, I applied online for U1 statement in the 11th January and I have not received anything yet. What should I do? How could I check the status of my application? Many thanks in advance
Posted Mon, 12 Jun 2023 11:40:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

The current timescale for processing online applications is 3 weeks. The department who process these are currently working on applications received on 19 May 2023.

Unfortunately, without checking your personal records we are unable to confirm if your application has been received.

Our online services team may be able to advise you on how to check if your application has been submitted correctly.

Technical support with HMRC online services

If your application has been submitted correctly, you will need to contact our National Insurance tean to check the progress. 

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 20 Jun 2023 12:22:37 GMT by
Hello. I want to apply for U1 form. There I have to put some of documents. I need to put Leaving form. Could you tell me, Leaving form is same as P45? Thank you very much.
Posted Fri, 23 Jun 2023 07:33:36 GMT by
Simona, you are correct.
Posted Thu, 29 Jun 2023 08:26:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Simona Zalkauskaite,

You should provide any documents you have that will assist with completing the U1, this includes the P45.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 17 Jul 2023 11:55:04 GMT by
Hello, I have requested for U1 to back my health status in my country. I have received post with that I didn't filled out all dates for last 5 years currently. I have tried my best with checked out all my payslip and information from my HMRC account. Basically I need this information from you, based on data that you have, because I have got gaps between employed and unemployed. It's really hard to filling out for 5 years exactly when I began and when I finished to work for employees especially during the COVID it was necessary I to find out where I can earn money. Please I need support to get this information about my employed periods for last 5 years. Urgent I have to back my health status because of health issue but I have to pay for 60 months without U1 where is not possible by my finances. Regards.
Posted Tue, 25 Jul 2023 07:18:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
You can request an employment history by completing the Subject Access Request form from our website www.gov.uk and searching:
Make a subject access request to HMRC.
You must include the following information:

•    Your full name
•    National Insurance Number
•    Current and all previous addresses within the last 5 years
•    Date of birth
•    What information is needed and the time period you need the information for.

Thanks

Posted Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:19:09 GMT by Lev Kundin
Hello, Like other people here, I submitted an application and selected the U1 form (checked the relevant box). However, I only received the NIC statement in the post, there is no U1 form. What is the best course of action? Thanks, Lev

You must be signed in to post in this forum.