Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 30 Sep 2022 18:08:22 GMT by
Hello! I moved back to France after 3 years in Scotland. In order to claim benefits, I need a U1 form. I filled in a form to get my National insurance contributions (NICs) as it was the first thing to show on Google when I was searching for a U1 form. Now that I have all my contributions, how do I get a proper U1 form? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 04 Oct 2022 14:28:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You can get a statement of your National Insurance contributions here:

Get a statement of your National Insurance contributions (CA3916)

When you complete the CA3916 form, you should tick the box to say you want a U1 Statement. You should also answer ‘yes’ to the question ‘Are you applying for a statement of NI contributions to claim unemployment benefit abroad?’

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 04 Oct 2022 14:45:02 GMT by
Hello, I completed this form online. Do I need to do it by post then? I'm no longer in the UK as I completed the CA3916 form at the beginning of September. Thanks!
Posted Tue, 04 Oct 2022 15:57:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

When you complete the CA3916 form, tick the box to say you want a U1 statement to ensure the statement is issued.

You can ask for a statement online or by post.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 04 Oct 2022 16:10:08 GMT by
Hello, I ticked the box before but never got my U1 statement. Should I get it via email or post? Thank you
Posted Thu, 06 Oct 2022 08:24:14 GMT by
Hi, How do I get the U1 statement after completing the form? Thanks!
Posted Thu, 06 Oct 2022 12:28:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You need to answer ‘yes’ to the question ‘Are you applying for a statement of NI contributions to claim unemployment benefit abroad’ as previously advised.

You will receive the U1 via post and not email.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 07 Mar 2023 23:11:55 GMT by
Hi Admin 19 In period 2017-2019 i worked in UK and after i move to France. My contract will finish here in june and if I don't find a job I will ask for state aid, unemployment, you think i can still benefit the 2 years i work in UK? i allready have the U1 form. I would like to benefit that period in the UK because i had a bigger contract.
Posted Thu, 09 Mar 2023 21:38:23 GMT by
And i have one more question please... on my form U1 i am not sure perhaps ther is a mistake with the dates? Income from employment From 02/07/2019 to 30/06/2019 Wage 00000 Gross Monthly. I think it should be from 2017 to 2019 no? The period i work there. What can i do if is wrong?... Thank you
Posted Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:47:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

Your U1 certificate is used by the French authorities to assist claims to unemployment benefits in France.

However, we cannot confirm if you will be awarded unemployment benefit in France based on the information provided on your U1 certificate.

You will need to contact the French authorities who will advise you further.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 15 Mar 2023 14:43:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

Without looking at your personal National Insurance records, we are unable to confirm if the details on your U1 certificate are correct or not.

Please contact our National Insurance team for advice.

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:20:15 GMT by
Hi I've moved from UK back to my home country back in January 2023. I have filled two U1 forms one on 25th of Jan 2023 and the other on: 9th of March 2023. Both forms are saying complete when I log onto Gov website. However I haven't received neither the first complete form nor the second l. Could you advice on what actions I could take as I need to provide them to my local authority for them to apply certain benefits and write off some of the depth that I have to my local authority. Long story short, I arrived into UK when I was little and never declared that I left home country (Lithuania) as I thought there's no need. Now I have moved back, and I have over 3 thousand pounds depth to my local medical authority as they charge you monthly. With this U1 form I could write it all off, and begin work here as it would prove that I was a tax payer else where for that period of time. Thanks for any type of response, really need some help on this. [Admin removed details]
Posted Thu, 20 Apr 2023 16:05:38 GMT by
Hi, I have asked for a CA3916 form several times, the last time being exactly 15 days ago, and I have never received anything. I desperately need it to claim unemployment benefits in France, where I moved in January, but I can never get hold of anyone when I call HMRC. Do you have any advice? I'm getting really desperate... Many thanks,
Posted Wed, 26 Apr 2023 11:49:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Karolis Rutka,

Without checking your personal records, I am unable to confirm if we have received your application form.
However, I can provide you with timescales for the department who will be dealing with your application.
For postal applications, they are currently working on applications received on 28/09/2022, and for online applications, they are currently working on applications submitted on 26/03/2023.
If you submitted your application online rather than posting it, based on the online timescale, we may not have received it.
For your information, please note, a U1 certificate is used to assist with unemployment benefits abroad.
You may need to check with your local authority, to confirm if that is the correct certificate they require, as it does not assist with medical benefits.
Your local authority may require a S041 certificate which is used to assist various claims to benefit including medical benefits.
This must be requested by your local authority, you cannot request the S041 certificate yourself. 

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 26 Apr 2023 14:53:46 GMT by
Hey Admin 20, thanks for clearing some information. However, I have filled two forms at the end of Jan and two at the end of March all done online. On my Gov gateway account all 4 forms are saying that are complete rather then still 'processing' In such case can I have any email or phone number to contact and ask where are those forms are as I have not received them Thank you!
Posted Wed, 26 Apr 2023 17:27:36 GMT by
Hello, I have requested a employment break of 1 year to go to Spain. I might need at some point during that year to request unemployment benefits in Spain, for that I will require the U1 form. Can I request the U1 form during an employment break?. Thanks
Posted Sat, 29 Apr 2023 13:53:11 GMT by
Hi! I applied 1 month ago for the U1 form, and if I go to the "Check Progress" page on the site I see that the status of the Form is "completed". This mean the form is done and everything is correct? However I do not see anything in my Email, is a form that I can receive just by post? is correct to assume you are sending this form to the address I registered as "Main Address" in the site? Thank you so much!
Posted Tue, 02 May 2023 08:46:16 GMT by
Hi Admin, I’m planning moving back to Czechia after 11 years of living in Uk. The local authority are requesting U1 form as confirmation of insurance contribution. I have checked all information on GOV website and I’d like to know, how long does it take in average to get statement if is application submitted online? And my 2nd question would be, is the statement sent via post or emailed? If by post, what address is used for posting the statement? The last UK residental address or it can’t be defined during application and it can be sent abroad? Thank you for your time for reply.
Posted Wed, 03 May 2023 13:40:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Karolis Rutkauskas,

The current timescale for online applications is 3 weeks.
They are currently working on applications received on 10 April 2023.
You can contact our helpline on +44 19 1203 7010 to check if your applications have been received.
When you submitted the forms, you should have received a reference number which you can quote when you call.
Alternatively, you can quote your National Insurance number.
Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.

Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 04 May 2023 08:13:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ricardo,

Your employment in the UK has to end before you can apply for a U1 certificate, and you need to provide HMRC with a reason for leaving your employment.
If you are not ending your employment, you will not be able to apply for a U1 certificate.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.