Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 04 Jan 2023 07:08:50 GMT by JHK2023
Hi there, I am a non UK resident who owns a UK company, I lent money to the company for business and the company paid me director loan's interest which request me to fill in CT61 form and pay 20% withholding tax to HMRC. I have already filled CT61 form and paid the tax. As the interest shouldn't arise any UK tax due to double taxation treaty between Hong Kong and the UK, I wish to claim repayment of tax. 1) My only UK income was the interests paid by my company. As they shouldn't be subject to any UK tax but still I have already paid withholding tax, do I need to file self assessment? 2) For claiming repayment of tax, which form should I use? I found HS304, R43 and DT-individual forms, which are very similar. 3) While I claim the repayment of tax, do I have to include any reference number so that you can track my previous paid withholding tax? Many thanks.
Posted Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:55:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You have taken the correct action in relation to the interest and CT61.

The interest is declared on your personal tax return, but it could be tax free if the interest is covered by the Personal Savings Allowance. You will only need to complete a Self  Assessment if the interest is more than £10,000, otherwise you can complete a claim form R43.

However, your situation for personal tax as a non UK resident may be more complicated and you would need to confirm with the Income Tax team.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.