Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 18 May 2023 09:14:30 GMT by Trevor B
Do I have to report income from share dividends if it exceeds the annual allowance or is it reported automatically to HMRC?
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 13:02:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You need to report it yourself if you ar eover the limit. You can do this by letter if it is below £10,000. If over £10,000 you need to complete a tax return.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 11:27:47 GMT by HMRCforumqueries
I am an executor of a relative who may have dividends above the dividend allowance that may not have been reported. I expect the annual total of dividends is below £10,000. How many tax years do I have to go back through from the date of death. Is it the three tax years previous to the year of death? And if there is some tax due from these earlier years, when is the due date for the tax charge and when will interest on overdue tax start to run from?
Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 11:43:51 GMT by alexhewitt
I am a UK citizen but not resident in the UK. I have a dividend income of £7500 and savings income of £1800 and no other UK income. Do I have to fill out a tax return as the combined sum is less than my personal allowance? In a post above it was stated that HMRC could be informed by letter, should I do this? Thanks in advance
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:57:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If the dividend is reportable on a self assessment tax return, legislation allows HMRC to go back up to 6 previous tax years.  
Each tax year ends on 5 April and the tax payable should be paid no later than the following 31 January, to avoid penalties and interest.
Posted Tue, 19 Sep 2023 08:06:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You would only need to compete a Self Assessment tax return, if you were claiming a repayment of tax deducted from the interest and dividends. You can see information here:

Non-residents savings and investment income (Self Assessment helpsheet HS300)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.