Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 06:21:34 GMT by kiufung
Is it legal to work remotely in UK for Hong Kong employer with a BNO visa? and only thing need to do is register for Self Assessment myself? Any taxation issue my employer need to concern about?
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 17:07:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi kiufung, 

You can work remotely, and yes you will need to register for Self Assessment as you will be classed as self employed.

As the taxation of your income is down to you, there is no taxation concen for you remployer.

Further guidance is at:

Set up as a sole trader

Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 20:12:36 GMT by grace31
Hi Admin and Kiufung, my case is similar as Kiufung. I continue my Hong Kong employment, my Hong Kong employer will still report to HK Inland Revenue Department, so I am not really a sole trader. In this case, can I just register self-assessment for myself and where could I find more information about how to apply for tax treaty to avoid double taxation in Hong Kong and UK? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 08 Aug 2022 10:11:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You will register as not self employed.

To complete the return, you need to fill in SA100, SA102, SA106 and SA109.

Details on how to register :

Register for Self Assessment    .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:09:47 GMT by Yvonne 0324
Hello Admin! I am the BNO visa & HKSAR passport holder. I have been residing in the UK for 5 months. I obtained the government gateway ID for registering self assessment and obtaining an individual tax return (I earned foreign dividend income during 6th April 2021- 5th April 2022) . However, my registration was stuck as I am not UK passport holder to complete the identity verification (I have UK driving license only). Could you please suggest what I should do to continue the registration or is there any other way-out for me to obtain the paper-form return? Cheers.
Posted Tue, 16 Aug 2022 08:07:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are resident in the UK for tax purposes and are in receipt of foreign employment income, dividends and other foreign income,
this will need to be declared on a  self assessment tax return. 

A paper tax return (SA100 and SA106) can be downloaded from :

Self Assessment  .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.