Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Jul 2022 15:22:11 GMT by G
Hi I am a full-time student at a UK university from Hong Kong holding a BNO visa. I have never worked in the UK but the amount I received from dividends and selling of shares in Hong Kong exceeded £2000 in the last tax year. Being classed as resident, the page on tax on foreign income instructs me to report my foreign income in a Self Assessment tax return. However, being a full-time student, am I correct that I DO NOT need to pay UK tax on my foreign income or gains despite the need to report them, as the amount is used for course fees and living costs, even though I am holding a BNO visa rather than a Student Route visa? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Jul 2022 13:55:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 24

Under Article 19 of the Double Taxation Agreement with Hong Kong, as long as the funds are used to cover course fees and living costs, you do not need to declare the income.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Jul 2022 16:30:19 GMT by G
Hi Thanks a lot for the reply. May I further confirm whether it means I do NOT need to submit a self-assessment form, provided that I had no other source of income both from the UK or from Hong Kong other than this foreign income for course fees and living costs?
Posted Fri, 08 Jul 2022 13:58:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 28

Based on the information you have given you do not need to complete a self assessment tax return.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.