Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 09 Dec 2021 23:28:26 GMT by M Gon
My brother recently sent me my part from my dad's money from Portugal (he passed away 7 years ago - he was not from the UK nor EU). It's less than 10,000 EUR. I got it transferred into my Monese EUR account here in the UK. Some background: From 2014-2019 I lived in the UK as an international student (Angola). From 2019-2020 I was living in the EU with my family. From Jul 2020 until I've been in the UK (this time as a Spanish citizen) to do my masters - finished in September. I started working now (1.5 months in). I currently hold a pre-settled status (I spent more than a year away and did not complete my 5 years to get the settled one, I was also Angolan then so not sure). I've been clicking here and there in the GOV website but I can't get a clear answer on wether this money is taxed or not. Could someone please explain to me how this works and provide me with the right sources so I get correctly informed? Ideally I'd like to contact HMRC. Is this even advised? What's the best way of doing it?
Posted Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:36:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 30

If this is just a gift of money or money from inheritance, then this is not classed as taxable income for Income Tax purposes and therefore does not need to be reported.

Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 03 Sep 2022 13:31:33 GMT by Rashid GAAl
I have similar question. My brother is about to sent me my part inheritance from my dad's assets from Somalia(he passed away 29 years ago - he was not from UK . It's less than £300.000. This is my part of inheritance. I am U aK citizen and live London. Do I have to pay a tax on my inheritance when i receive?
Posted Mon, 05 Sep 2022 08:41:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

Please contact the Inheritance Tax team for advice:

Inheritance Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.