Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 15 Jun 2023 15:16:05 GMT by Jonathan Williams
Hi folks. I am a UK citizen living permanently abroad in Spain. In February this year you received my application for Double Taxation relief. Received Feb 20th. Still awaiting a reply/resolution. Any idea how long this is likely to take?
Posted Tue, 20 Jun 2023 14:25:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

We do have a backlog of post on hand, which we are working hard to reduce.  

To progress chase your request, you will need to use our webchat service, as we have temporarily closed our telephone helpline. This will allow more staff to work on reducing the backlog. 

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 11:48:52 GMT by
I forwarded my DTA application via my UK Accountant in November 2022, and as yet have still not received a reply. Did you have any luck pogressing your application via the Self Assessment general enquiries as sugested?
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 13:04:11 GMT by Jonathan Williams
No man. Not a hope. If you go to the "Chat Service", they'll tell you to use the Helpline, which is closed and an automated message tells you to use the chat service.... and on and on, ad infinitum. They gave me a number to ring, as "You're abroad"... It has a delay of several hours and again, tells you you need to use the chat service... etc, etc. etc! They're utterly useless and take great pride in making it impossible for us to get our taxes refunded. If you DO ever get anything, let me know eh? I'll do the same from my end. Until then... Good Luck.
Posted Fri, 18 Aug 2023 11:53:51 GMT by
HMRC I was told back in February 2023 that the department was dealing with DTA requests from August 2022 and the estimated completion for mine (which was logged as received 23/11/2022) would be aprox. July 2023. We are now mid August 2023 and I still have not received anything. In May 2023 the notification of receipt of my DTA disappeared from the system, and I was told in June that my request had now been placed in an active queue waiting to be dealt with (which would therefore assume that they were then dealing with applications made about November 2022). We are 9 months down the line, spread over 2 tax years (the previous year and current) and there is no comunication as to where we are. Please could you advise which months DTA intake are they working on.
Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2023 15:44:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi G Brett,

I regret that we are not able to assist you with this matter in this forum.
 You will need to contact our help line on 0300 200 3300 (Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm) for a more details personal reponse.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 27 Aug 2023 14:27:53 GMT by Jonathan Williams
May I remind you of your recent reply? "To progress chase your request, you will need to use our webchat service, as we have temporarily closed our telephone helpline. This will allow more staff to work on reducing the backlog." So WHY tell us to contact a Helpline that's CLOSED??
Posted Thu, 31 Aug 2023 13:28:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Webchat is an online method of contacting HMRC and not via the telphone helpline.
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 16:37:42 GMT by
Finally my DTA is being looked at, only taken nearly 11 months and regular phone calls to HMRC but there is light at the end of the tunnel .
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 12:08:53 GMT by Jonathan Williams
I’m delighted for you. They’ve dealt with mine by throwing it away and now deny I ever put one in. Am I surprised? No.
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 10:55:52 GMT by
Sorry to hear that Johnathan. Did you by chance screen print the" check progress" screen which should show a form had been received and when? I know that when I sent mine in, it showed on that page from November 2022 uptil May 2023 that they had received it and it was waiting to be processed. Just a thought.
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 23:28:39 GMT by Jonathan Williams
I did indeed. Still have it on my phone. Not that they give a hoot. …..
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:44:25 GMT by Jonathan Williams
Well! Wonder of wonders….. They’ve only gone a done it, whilst still denying I put in a form! Haha. Got an email today, code change blah blah… check it out and NT is now my code. All we need now is four and a half years of tax deductions returned.
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:00:20 GMT by
Brilliant news Jonathan. It took about 1 week for them to return my tax from a previous tax year, and I'm waiting on the refund of what they have taken this year, but they advised that it would be sorted. I just checked my bank account a week after the tax code change and the money had been credited. Good luck
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 15:32:41 GMT by Jonathan Williams
Well, they owe me from (an arbitrary date) 7th Nov 2019... Letter says "go online and claim in for a BACS return or wait 45 days and we'll send you a cheque"... Tried the 'Claim it by BACS' idea but my personal tax page hasn't been updated so it looks like I'll be waiting until New Year. I shall check weekly to see if they EVER do update it.... Congrats on getting yours. Now I've got to do the wifes too since she was stopped a huge chunk on her payouts that we hadn't really considered.
Posted Sat, 11 Nov 2023 17:02:20 GMT by
Dear All - I share a question. I reside in the US and pay taxes in the US. I published a book in the UK and have been taxed on my royalties since 2022. I had the IRS send my double taxation form to refund the royalties and it was received by HMRC in March of 2023. It seems it is taking the HMRC months to process these. Do I need to file an SA100 (2023) in the meantime, seeking refund for tax on my royalties? What should I do?
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 00:41:06 GMT by Jonathan Williams
If they recieved your form in March this year, you should hear something this month, (November) based on my experience.
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:07:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi RC1234 Celorio,

No tax return is required.  

Please contact our Self Assessment team and we will search for your royalty documents, validate them and return them to you.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.