Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 31 Oct 2022 13:43:04 GMT by LuisaB
My mum would like to gift me and my siblings her house while she is still alive and living in the house. The property is located in Germany and my mother lives in Germany as well. In Germany this falls under tax free allowance (unless my mum dies within 10 years then it will be subject to German inheritance tax) I will not be receiving income from the property through rent and we will not be selling the property. Do I need to pay tax on this gift in the UK?
Posted Thu, 03 Nov 2022 14:53:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

As your mum is resident in Germany, there would be no UK tax to pay on the gift.  

If you are resident in the UK for tax purposes when the property is sold, there may be Capital Gains Tax to pay when you dispose of the property.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.