Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 21 Mar 2021 16:55:09 GMT by Joana Fidalgo
Hi, I have received a letter from HMRC mentioning that I might have received overseas income or gains that I may have to pay UK tax on. The letter does not mention what it refers to. I am a national from a different country but have been paying taxes in the UK for approximately 9 years now. I have a savings in a bank account in my country of origin. A few times a year I will get a lump sum of money sent from my Father from my country of origin into my account in the UK. - Could these transfers be the reason triggering the letter? - Is this gift taxable in the UK?
Posted Tue, 23 Mar 2021 12:15:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

The money itself would not be taxable in the UK but if you receive any interest from the bank account in your country of origin then this would need to be declared to HMRC.
Gifts are not taxable for income tax purposes but bank interest or dividends from abroad are. 
Please see guidance here on what HMRC would consider as foreign taxable income
Tax on foreign income
Tax on foreign income

Thank You.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.