Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 19 Apr 2021 13:45:40 GMT by Cumbres 59
I know that the knowledge base suggests that a claim for a refund should be processed within 5 weeks. I applied online for a refund at the beginning of February for a sum shown on my tax account as being due. No response so 6 weeks later I wrote chasing the refund. No response after three weeks so I wrote again. A further two weeks have passed and no response. I do appreciate that the pandemic is putting added stress on all organisations but one would hope that a claim could be processed within 16 weeks. I have tried telephoning HMRC but needless to say I have not been able to get through to anyone. I find myself thinking that the only alternative will be to initiate a formal complaint process which seem to be a sledgehammer to crack a nut! How long should one realistically wait for a refund to be processed?
Posted Wed, 21 Apr 2021 11:35:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Normally a refund takes 10 working days to process but can take longer if it has been chosen for additional security checks we can't give a timescale on that forum for security checks you would need to call the self assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 11 Jul 2021 13:43:49 GMT by Leslie Cooper
Hi 10 working days? I took some cash out of a pension fund a while back. This was declared on my French tax return. I was subsequently then asked to pay quite a large sum (broken into monthly payments) in income tax in France. I have subsequently applied to have the tax paid on this pension (taken at source) repaid. The final paperwork for compliance got through over a month ago. I spoke to someone in the tax office a couple of weeks ago. I was assured it would be dealt with by mid July. I called again on Friday and was told it would be September 21st before it is looked at. What is going on? Why is it taking so long? This is for a 5 digit amount. Not an amount that anyone can easily go without.
Posted Mon, 12 Jul 2021 13:52:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

When you contact our helpline we go based on the latest timescale we have. These dates can change and it may take longer at this time of year when more repayments are requested.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 26 Jul 2021 11:17:04 GMT by pdebney83
Help!! I am still waiting for a tax refund from my self assessment which was submitted by my accountant in January!! I know we've all been through a terribly tough 18 months during the pandemic, but this is why I need my refund now! Times are tough and the money you OWE ME will help ease the pressure. I keep being sent the same form (R38) over and over again; which I know is a delay tactic; that I keep filling in and returning but still nothing happens! I have called 0300 200 3100 many times, but I may as well call my neighbor as they are no help whatsoever. I'm sure they're doing the best they can, but I just want an answer as it's been nearly 7 months! A bit of a joke really. If I was to delay paying my tax by 7 months you'd be sending me all sorts of threatening letters and messages. I keep being told that "someone will get back to me" but yet again, I get an R38 to fill in. Please can someone get a grip and sort this out, the amount of money you owe me (and are refusing to pay) is pennies in the grand scheme of things.
Posted Wed, 28 Jul 2021 14:13:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

Without seeing your record I can't advise what is happening here, I would not expect you to receive an R38 more than once.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 28 Jul 2021 14:40:51 GMT by Leslie Cooper
So it is now 3 weeks later and I and still awaiting repayment (due to double taxation UK France). This is a 5 digit sum. I can not afford this any longer. What is happening please!
Posted Tue, 03 Aug 2021 13:23:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

We can't check the position here as we can't view your record.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 03 Aug 2021 13:42:01 GMT by Leslie Cooper
Hi, what do you need to check the record?
Posted Wed, 04 Aug 2021 11:24:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

We can't check records from this forum, we can only provide general advice.

You need to use webchat/telephone or post for the specific department.

Also see link:

Contact HMRC  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Aug 2021 16:03:36 GMT by Sdanero
R38 form that was sent to me has been sent back since 4th april and estimated process date says july 28 ... its almost 4 weeks after the date i was given online and still no refund or a reply . its august17th now ....... atleast they should let me know if there is any issues
Posted Wed, 18 Aug 2021 09:42:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You would need to speak with our Self Assessment department for an update . Also see link:

Self Assessment: general enquiries    .

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 03 Sep 2021 18:58:58 GMT by Thomas Pascoe
I am in the same position, returned additional paperwork in May following a SURF2 letter and request for further information. Several missed deadlines since then and the last advisor I spoke to said not to bother re-flagging as it would delay things even more. No due date, no detail available. Raised a complaint several months ago and that too has fallen down the rabbit-hole, due date for a response elapsed with nothing done and no information. What is most frustrating is the total absence of accountability. No transparency to the process and no sense of responsibility towards the taxpayer. No point continuing to contact the general enquiries people as they have no pertinent information and cannot help move things along. Infuriatingly poor service.
Posted Fri, 03 Sep 2021 21:20:46 GMT by gmom penk
Can anyone advise on what he hell HMRC are up to with regards security checks for CIS self assessment tax returns??? File submitted in May 2021, tax overpayment of approx. £2300 calculated by HMRC . This is still going through checks?, despite all relevant 'proof of identity' being sent. Everytime I contact HMRC regarding my refund they say 'the more I enquire, the longer the delay' ?? ..3 dates have been mentioned, the latest should have been today 3 September, now being told another 12 weeks. THIS IS MY MONEY. Can anyone in HMRC help, or do they all just keep fobbing everyday hard working folk off.
Posted Mon, 06 Sep 2021 13:46:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Gmom penk,

It is possible HMRC are carrying out security checks on your repayment, you can  contact them direct for an update.     

Self Assessment   Number  0300 200 3310.

Webchat address:

Self Assessment: general enquiries     .

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 24 Oct 2021 08:52:56 GMT by alasdair Gilchrist
I am a UK national that now resides abroad and have done so for the last 20 years. However, when my private pension matures in 2020 my pension payment was taxed at emergency tax levels so I claimed a refund. I was assured by the pension company that HMRC would automatically refund the tax in April. That did not happen. As a foriegn resident, I cannot use the online facilities so I can only post by mail. I sent the completed form along with the P45 docs from the pension company on 1st July 2021. To date I have recieved no response whatsoever. I appreciate that the department is working under exceptional circumstances but to not confirm reciept of a claim and to explain the current circumstances why there is likely to be a delay leads to a dreadful customer experience. To date
Posted Sun, 24 Oct 2021 12:47:38 GMT by David Hunter
I have been trying since May to get a refund on overpayment of tax by a pension fund provider and I received a letter advising a 10 week delay and which provided a settlement date. This date has passed and still no refund. I have called the number advised by HMRC Admin 17 on numerous occassions and every time I am advised that the team dealing with security checks cannot be contacted for updated information, either by the client or any of the internam HMRC teams. You can only get the current status. There is no way of anyone (either internal or external) can check on the progress of the security check and any actions which might be outstanding. I fully expect to shortly receive notification that the payment will be further delayed without any reason being given. The refund related to overpayment of tax by the pension fund provider and is in excess of £12k. This is my final source of income for the year and the constant delays will result in my mortgage provider foreclosing on me by the end of this month. It appears that the department handling tax refunds is exempt from freedom of information requests and as it does not provide updates, then those waiting for refunds have no way of knowing when these will received. I feel the next step it to contact my MP and perhaps see if this might be something that the media might be interested in to bring this matter to the attention of the general public.
Posted Tue, 26 Oct 2021 22:18:36 GMT by Stephanie
I am also having problems with a five figure sum refund on overpaid tax on pension withdrawal, which is my only income. I have telephoned and was told yes refund due and P800 calculated on 4/10/2021 but still not received, had web-chat and told I would receive P800 in two weeks (that was 5 weeks ago) and written three times but had no response either in paper form or on Government Gateway account. HMRC appear to be a law unto themselves with tax payers money and I’m at my wits as the money is required for living expenses. HELP
Posted Wed, 27 Oct 2021 14:03:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Stephanie

I would have expected you to receive the P800 at the start of this week by the latest if it was generated on 04/10/21.

You will need to contact our Income Tax department again for an update on this:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thankyou.

Regards.
Posted Thu, 28 Oct 2021 18:43:33 GMT by Stephanie
Update to my earlier post. Phoned HMRC and my P800 was calculated on 4th October, but still not received, and timescale for my repayment is 4th December because of security checks for taking a large amount of money from my own pension, which pension provider was obviously happy with. So anyone who is maybe owed five figure sum and still waiting this could be why. Lady at HMRC extremely helpful in telling me what is happening, though an 8 month wait since end of tax year is a joke.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.