Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 May 2022 13:23:03 GMT by
I am trying to get letter of conformation of residence for period since 2016 until now. Is that possible? I also am not sure what to do with question: “Time spent outside UK. Have you ever left the UK to work overseas?” Does this include period before 2016? If it does next page requires me to add exact date and number of days outside UK. Last time I left UK for work was almost 15 years ago and I no longer remember those dates. I could roughly estimate but form interface requires exact dates.
Posted Thu, 19 May 2022 13:56:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi absolutely Desperate
We are unable to access tax records on the forum.
Please contact your won tax office for an update on your query.
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Thu, 19 May 2022 15:52:21 GMT by
So now I have received a LETTER of residency. I requested a CERTIFICATE of residency and obviously the Portuguese tax office does not accept the letter. I'm guessing another month waiting for a piece of paper
Posted Fri, 20 May 2022 10:37:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi kapula,

You are not required to list overseas employers from 15 years ago as this will not effect the certificate of residence request, therefore you should tick no at this question. 

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 20 May 2022 11:24:20 GMT by
Thank you HMRC Admin 19, I am actually after letter of conformation of residence but I am guessing the process is the same, correct? Also is it possible to get the letter for entire period since 2016? Many thanks.
Posted Sat, 21 May 2022 07:07:09 GMT by
Also, just to clarify, period I spent working outside UK is between 2007 – 2010 but because it’s before 2016 I should tick no. Did I understand that correctly? Many thanks
Posted Wed, 25 May 2022 07:37:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Yes this is the same process, you apply via the same link. 

If you have been resident in the UK from 2016 you can request this date on the application. 

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 25 May 2022 11:56:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi kapula
Yes that is correct. 
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Fri, 27 May 2022 17:06:56 GMT by
Thank You HMRC Admin 10 & HMRC Admin 17 for your answers. Unfortunately I am stuck on very next question. It's similar to the previous one: "Have you ever been outside the UK for more than 183 days in any UK tax year?". Should I use the same logic here as in previous question and answer "No" because period I spent outside UK is between 2007 – 2010 and I am looking for letter of conformation of residence from 2016 until now.
Posted Mon, 30 May 2022 12:15:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

The years 2007-2010 would have no bearing on the decision therefore selecting 'no' would be the prefered option. 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:39:07 GMT by
Hi I’m a UK Citizen and resident. Always worked in the UK, I sold my UK company shares to an overseas, Romanian-based company. Do I need a CoR for the consideration that is going to be paid? I don’t see why I would if I’ve not been working in Romania…
Posted Wed, 15 Jun 2022 12:45:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
As a UK resident you are required to declare your worldwide income please see guidance for declaring foreign earnings :
Tax on foreign income
If Romania state they will tax you on the shares then you can apply for a Certificate of UK Residence to avoid double taxation at:
How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad
Another scenario would be if they tax you on your overseas income, you can claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief when you report your income on the Self Assessment form. 
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 05:15:09 GMT by
Hi In November 2021, I applied for a CoR for a client for the year to February 2022. The client receives monthly pension payments from South Africa from which tax withheld. Because a form was provided which had to be certified, I could not use any of the online facilities and had to send the signed Form to be certified. It has been over 8 months since I sent the Form and it is yet to be returned. I have contacted the helpline a few times and every time I call, I am told the client has to wait until September 2022 before I can raise complaint if the Form has still not been returned. The client's tax returns for 2021 and 2022 have been filed and considering we are in the process of requesting another CoR to cover the South African tax year March 2022 to February 2023 (and tax is already being withheld on this income), we are seriously concerned as it will take time and money for the client to recover all the tax withheld in South Africa. Can someone kindly advise on how we can get this resolved as a matter of urgency as the client is really struggling financially. Thank you Regards
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 17:17:38 GMT by
Hi Terry, 

Due to COVID, we do have a substantial backlog of post and the date previously given is correct.

It will be September before a reply is issued.

However, as you state that you are about to apply for another certificate for 22/23, it would be worth while submitting that now so that both forms can be actioned together

Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 05 Aug 2022 04:05:03 GMT by
Hi HMRC Admin 25 Thank you for getting back to me. I was reading on the forum how some people were expecting their CoR within a month so I thought something must be wrong. It would be great if both certificates can be issued at the same time. However, how can I be certain that the request for 2022/23 will be received, processed and linked to the 2021/22 request so both can be issued at the same time. If there is anything I can do to increase the chances of that link being made, please kindly let me know before I send off the 2022/23 request? Thanks again for your help. Best regards Terry
Posted Fri, 05 Aug 2022 14:09:34 GMT by
Hi Terry, 

Please include your National Insurance number, and if appropriate your Self Assessment UTR number on any forms or correspondence.

We do try to link post items together to deal with them all at once.  

This is not always possible, so we cannot guarantee this will happen.

Thank you. 

Posted Sat, 20 Aug 2022 23:05:50 GMT by
Hi, I lived and worked in the UK from January 2015 till November 2017. When I got back to my country (Portugal) in November 2017, I changed my address to Portugal. Now, the tax authorities from Portugal are charging me the taxes for the income I received in 2017 in the UK (I haven't received any income in Portugal from 2015 to 2017). So, I'm trying to get a certificate of residence from HMRC to avoid double taxation. However, when I try to apply for a CoR using the online service and I insert my old national insurance number, I get the error message: "The information you gave does not match our records. This means that some or all of the details you entered were incorrect." Is this because my NIN is not valid anymore? How can I overcome this? Thanks in advance. Regards, 
Posted Tue, 23 Aug 2022 09:41:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If your unable to use our online service, you can request a Certificate of Residence by completing the form linked below: 

www.tax.service.gov.uk/shortforms/form/PT_CertOfRes?_ga=2.10530870.367291802.1661150501-1586997982.1647944580  .

Thank you.                                                    

Posted Mon, 03 Oct 2022 18:33:45 GMT by
I'm experiencing serious issues obtaining a Certificate for Tax Purposes - mandatory request from Tax Authorities in my country. I've applied multiple times over the past 2 years with no success. I've already got penalty charges in my country for not providing this certificate. The last attempt was on the 9th of September. The system doesn't provide anymore estimation date, neither got any updates through email. I've spent 5 hours trying to contact HMRC on different phone numbers with no success(please see below). Contact number 03000533148 (not correct) +443003229424 (not correct) 3002003300 (line is dropping with no success) Kindly provide me a reliable telephone contact that I could reach out.
Posted Tue, 04 Oct 2022 10:57:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You may be quicker applying online - :

How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad   .

This can only be issued if you were a UK tax resident for the period on question with foreing income to declare .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.