Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 01 Dec 2022 17:15:11 GMT by Pedro Rebelo
Hi Joana Morais, Do you still have the number or email you used to contact HMRC? It seems that my Certificate of Residence form is missing and the number that we're supposed to call (+44 135 535 9022) is "temporarily" unavailable.... Thanks in advance.
Posted Sun, 15 Jan 2023 20:18:38 GMT by David
Hello, I used the form available on this link:, to apply for a certificate of tax residency on 24th November 2022, I have not received any communication except for an acknowledgement after I submitted the form The acknowledgement email stated it will take up to 25 working days, it is now the 15th January 2023 and I have not received a response. If any HMRC official is monitoring this forum, please would you kindly let me know know when I can expect the certificate ? Thank You so much!
Posted Tue, 17 Jan 2023 21:40:07 GMT by Neil
Hi, How does this work with regards to split year treatment please? e.g. if one has left the country in say July of the 2022/2023 tax year. One has obviously not yet submitted a tax return for that year, but when one does it will have that split year aspect to it. If it is now January 2023, can one still apply for a certificate of tax residence? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 16:21:18 GMT by NeedingHelp
I am a UK citizen and have returned here in August 2021 after working for many years in South Africa. The South African tax authorities require a letter from HMRC confirming that since that date I am a UK tax resident (I am registered for self assessment). How can I just get a letter confirming my tax status or do I need to submit an online request for a CoR? Thanks
Posted Thu, 19 Jan 2023 14:32:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi David,

You should now get a reply by 2 February 2023.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:55:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Neil,

Yes, you can still apply if the period you are looking for is when you were still resident in the UK.

Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 20 Jan 2023 16:58:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi NeedingHelp,

You can find guidance here:

How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 10 Feb 2023 10:58:02 GMT by Kelly Anyfantaki
I applied for a certificate of residence on 6th December 2022. It is now more than 2 months (10th February 2023) and I have still not received it. On 2nd February 2023 I called HMRC to enquire about this and I was told I would receive it. 8 days later and I have still not received it. I need it urgently for the Tax Office in my country, Greece. What is the reason of this delay?
Posted Tue, 14 Feb 2023 14:31:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

This should have been issued to you by now.

You should therefore telephone 0300 200 3310 to check the status of your submission .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 20:18:59 GMT by Apostolos Zoumpos
Hello, I am settled and working in the UK from 2016 till now and applied for a residence certificate from 2016 to date. I received a letter of confirmation only with the current date. Could you advise how I can get a letter mentioning I am tax resident from 2016? Thank you
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 12:25:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Apostolos Zoumpos,
A certificate of residence will only apply if you have income from another country.
The letter of confirmation will be suffice if you have no foreign income and the foreign country should accept this.

Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 15 Jun 2023 08:02:11 GMT by EMak16
Hello. I applied for a Tax Residence Certificate on May 15th and have not heard back from you. Please note that I urgently need the certificate. When should I expect to receive an email or the certificate itself? Is there any way to contact you via phone or email for this issue? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:46:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi EMak16,

If you sent this by post, it will be aprroximately 9th August 2023 before you receive a reply.

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:13:31 GMT by VG23
Hello! I have used the online form to request a CoR multiple times (3) and keep receiving a message of the type: "Thank you for your request for a certificate of residence. We have been unable to verify some of the information you provided to help us identify you. Please request a Certificate of Residence in writing to HM Revenue & Customs, Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment, BX9 1AS. You can use your Personal Tax Account to view your HMRC details and make changes online. To register, go to" I have sent a letter requesting the CoR from the address mentioned but have received no reply. Any advise on that would be more than appreciated, thank you. 
Posted Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:13:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

As you are not able to verify your identity, you will need to complete the form here:

Request for Certificate of Residence in the UK

It will take a little longer to process.  

A possible reason that we have been unable to verify your identity, is that we have incorrect information on your records. You will need to write to HMRC, BX9 1AS, verifying your correct information such as date of birth.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:01:28 GMT by Andrea Barbieri
Hello. I am an Italian citizen, resident in the UK since 2007 and now with settled status. I started working for a Polish company 2 weeks ago, and still did not receive my first pay check. The company requested a Certificate of Fiscal residence - Relief from Polish Tax. I've requested this on on-line 8/9/23 but I've only received a letter of confirmation of residence dated 13/9/23. My new company legal department says that is not sufficient to get relief from double taxation. How do I get the appropriate CoR? Thank you for your help
Posted Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:52:33 GMT by treborsenots
Hello..I am a resident of Greece but a tax resident of uk....have loved in Greece for 11 years and now selling my property and want to give £50,000 to each of my grown up children living in the total assets are the selling price of the house...225,000 capital gains in Greece....will I or my children have to pay any tax ?....apart from on the interest made in their bank. Can't find the right place to post this question hope it can be answered. 

Name removed admin. 
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 10:57:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Andrea Barbieri
If we dont have details that you have foreign income then the letter of confirmation is appropriate.
You will now need to register for self assessment to show that you have foreign income and reapply.
Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 12:51:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi treborsenots,

There are no Income Tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends. These would then potentially be subject to tax.  

Further guidance can be found here.

Tax on savings interest

Tax on dividends

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 10 Oct 2023 13:06:20 GMT by VG23
Hi, thank you for your response from 21 days ago. I have sent filled in this form multiple times, but sent it once more following your advice. I have sent a letter to HMRC as requested, confirming all of my details on the 18th of July 2023 but have not received any response yet. Please inform me as to what kind of further actions I could take, or whether there is a telephone number to contact and resolve this more quickly. Greek authorities may penalise those who are late submitting their tax reduction paperwork promptly and we are nearing the deadline, so your help would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you, 

Name removed admin .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.