Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 06 May 2022 13:09:16 GMT by Rares
Recently, all EU nationals, with pre-settled/settled status, that have NIN, UTR are locked out of the tax accounts as they cannot get a GOV Gateway Id. They excluded the Post Office from verifications despite the fact that it worked for them. Let me tell you why it does work with Gateway Id. When attempting to get a GOV Gateway Id, one is asked to provide two of the following: 1. UK passport - obviously that one cannot provide one as is an EU national. 2. Credit history like phone bill - one can provide that or Council tax invoice or whatever. 3. NI driver's license - obviously that one cannot provide one as is an EU national. Subsequently one cannot log in (anymore) into one's (existing) tax account, fill in a request, fill in a complaint or even fill in the Self assessment. Subsequently one cannot for example request as did previously request a Certificate of residence with a wet signature, so one can invoice abroad. On calling them they say to email the technical (get help with this page). When emailing them, they say it is not a technical issue. When opening this one needs to call the number here and they tell is not an online issue?!?! And they are telling me to go to the online page. See the circle here? What is to be done?

[External link removed - Admin]
Posted Fri, 06 May 2022 16:04:29 GMT by Celia Blanco
Hi, Thank you for this information. I cannot create an account on HMRC services to view my personal tax because it won't verify my identity. Do you think it's the same issue here? I tried calling them and they're saying they maybe (not sure 100% sure) have got my wrong date of birth on the system??? I'm really confused. Hope it gets sorted for you. Best wishes,
Posted Mon, 09 May 2022 14:22:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

The option to use verify has been removed, and if you are not able to verify using the Government Gateway process you
will not be able to access the online account.

There will be some changes to the verification process in July, however we can't comment on the changes before then.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 10 May 2022 08:19:42 GMT by Rares
Hi HMRC Admin 17, I want to prove my identity. I did so when I got my pre-settled status as my wife did. Back then it seems that the EU passport was good enough for the purpose. For the aforementioned process of identification, as I am an EU national I cannot produce UK documents isn't it? 1. UK passport - obviously that one cannot provide one as is an EU national. 2. Credit history like phone bill - one can provide that or Council tax invoice or whatever. 3. NI driver's license - obviously that one cannot provide one as is an EU national. Now, my wife is self employed, she have a NIN, UTR and: 1. Needs a wet signed certificate of fiscal residency to invoice abroad (in EU) and benefit of double taxation exemption. They never sent one when using the email form but the online method, from Personal tax account. And there is no phone to call for this. Without this the customers are forced to deduce tax in that country from the amounts outstanding. 2. She needs to fill in the tax return/self assessment. Subsequently cannot log in and fill in anymore. She hired one year ago an accounting company to take care of this. They will be able to login? 3. On what base (why) the EU nationals where cut from those services? I mean what is the law/directive/assessment. When we already proved the identity in the pre/settled status process? Last year I had this issue accessing the Personal tax account: I could do it with Post Office but not with Government Gateway. I had complains there, tax claims and all as I am employed here. In the end, they "unified" the authorisation means AFTER I provided the link proving my pre/settled status. The same was for NIN. Or filling in a request or a complain. Now suddenly the ACCESS to these rights is void. Why? Best regards,
Posted Tue, 10 May 2022 10:32:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If we have incorrect details our Income Tax department can advise what we would require to update our records :

Income Tax: general enquiries  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 10 May 2022 12:01:21 GMT by Rares
What incorrect details? The questions that are within our rights to know are: 1. Why suddenly the online ACCESS to these rights is void? 2. Why suddenly the previous identity validation used with GOV UK in the pre/settled process is not good enough? I mean our EU passports. We can use the link sharing to prove our status based on previously verified identity: 3. Some services does not have a phone/post equivalent, as is asking for a Fiscal residency certificate wet signed. What is the alternative? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 10 May 2022 14:31:21 GMT by icw
This is precisely my issue. The one thing that the HMRC actually did that worked well is no longer accessible to over 3 million foregin residents in the UK (let alone a lot of English people). 2 - options from: - A UK passport - excuse me, I'm not from the UK, another option perhaps? - A NI driving license??? Why would any foreign UK resident have an NI driving license? Even the English don't have a NI driving license. This option is simply absurd. - A credit reference? Don't need one, haven't got one. What a pathetic list of choices. What about a National Identity Card? A foreign passport? A "UK" driving license? A utility bill? An NHS number? A registered doctor's? There are so many choices. It seems HMRC has gone out of their way to discriminate against non-uk nationals who can no longer access the services they need. So much for settled status!!
Posted Thu, 12 May 2022 13:17:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Rares, verify will shortly be retired and will no longer be in use. There are due to be changes to the identity verification journey for Government Gateway, which will be implemented in July.

If an accountant is going to be completing the tax return for your wife, they will have their own agent account with HMRC through which they can submit online returns.

If there are issues with the certficiate your wife can discuss this by calling our Income Tax team and they can refer her to the taxes technicians who can advise further.

If you wish to make a complaint you can do so by telephone or in writing:

Make a complaint about HMRC

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 12 May 2022 13:42:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Rares
The methods for verification you are mentioning are not available for Government Gateway.
There will be changes made to the Identity Verification journey in July.
If you contact our Income tax department we can arrange for you to speak with our technician team regarding the certificate.
Income Tax: general enquiries

You must be signed in to post in this forum.