Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 Aug 2022 12:54:52 GMT by Sharon Harrison
When employee expenses are claimed on Self Assessment is there anyway of stopping HMRC changing the current PAYE Code to include these expenses for current year too? AND, how does HMRC distinguish which expenses are Work from Home (WFH) expenses claims to prevent those from being carried forward? On SA102 (2022) all expenses & any capital allowances will be totalled in box 20. Not all employees will incur the same expenses two years running. Not all employees will be able to make WFH claims for 2022-2023 Once the current year code has been changed, if no expenses are due that year then, an underpayment of tax will almost certainly occur. NB- I believe the micro portal WFH claims are not in the same situation as they are one-year-stand-alone claims.
Posted Fri, 05 Aug 2022 15:25:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Sharon Harrison,
As the return is lumping them together, the system will not distinguish.
It is also assumed that if you are still in the same employment that the expenses will continue and your code will reflect that.
If they have reduced or ceased, you can telephone to have the code updated on 0300 200 3300.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 18 Aug 2022 13:49:48 GMT by Sharon Harrison
Having to contact HMRC and having the current year code changed is more work for HMRC / agent and an IYA for client. This automatic carry forward should have been thought about before HMRC asked Self Assessment clients to claim WFH expenses on their 2021-2022 Self Assessment. I believe a solution would have been to use the stand alone system for the one specific year claim but, I understand those in Self Assessment cannot use this stand alone system.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.