Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 23 Feb 2023 15:39:09 GMT by Trace
Hello, I am moving with my wife to the UK as a dependent on her student visa, so I have a right to work in the UK. I am trying to maintain my job with my U.S.-based company but I am wondering about the implications of this. My company has a presence in the UK but is technically a separate entity from the U.S. branch so they cannot do a simple transfer. I know I should probably hire a tax professional to deal with that end of it but will I be able to stay a regular W2 employee through my company? Should I work as an independent contractor, or does that not really matter since I have a right to work? Does my company still pay payroll taxes? Also is all of this legal? I've done a fair bit of research and it seems like it's quite doable but I've come across a lot of conflicting information. Thanks to anyone that can help.
Posted Fri, 24 Feb 2023 16:26:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

This would now be classed as foreign income for you to declare via Self Assessment. Please refer to further guidance at:

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.