Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 14 Aug 2023 21:52:45 GMT by ED29
Hello, Hope all is well. I would like to enquire whether I need to apply for a personal UTR and submit a self-assessment for the tax year 2022/23 given my circumstances: - I became a UK tax resident in October 2022. - I earned a total commission income of about GBP 350 between 6 Apr 2022 and 5 Apr 2023 from a UK company where I'm self-employed. - In October 2022, I sold a mutual fund (outside the UK) and received net proceeds of about GBP 14,000 (deposited in my foreign bank). The capital gain amounted to about GBP 1,000. - Apart from the commission income and capital gain, I had no other income or gains in the UK or overseas from 6 Apr 2022 to 5 Apr 2023. - Note that I became a director and shareholder of a private limited company in the UK after 5 Apr 2023 (so I believe this is not relevant to the 2022/23 tax year. Based on the above circumstances where my income and capital gain fall below the tax allowance, do I need to apply for a personal UTR (using the SA1 form) and submit a self-assessment for the tax year 2022/23? If you could provide some clarity on this matter, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 17 Aug 2023 08:52:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi ED29,
You will need to review the guidance at RDR3, to determine your residency status and whether split year treatment applies.  
If it does, you need to claim it in a Self Assessment Tax return.
Residence, domicile and the remittance basis: RDR1
Yes, you will need to register for Self Assessment.
Foreign income is one of the criteria for completing a Self Assessment Tax return.
As your self- employment turnover is below £1000.00, you do not need to declare on a tax return.
You will need to declare the Capital Gain Tax, even although it may be covered by the annual exempt allowance.
Being a director of a company is not Self Assessment criteria.
You may find that it is just this one tax year, that a tax return will be required.  
You can register for Self Assessment here: 
Register for Self Assessment
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:45:41 GMT by ED29
Hello, Many thanks for your reply. I have two follow-up questions with regard to the self-assessment submission: 1) For my self-employment income of £350, I do not need to submit SA103S (self-employment) because the turnover is less than GBP1,000, correct? 2) For the capital gain of £1,000 from the sale of a mutual fund in a foreign country, do I need to submit SA108 (capital gain) or SA106 (foreign income)? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 13:39:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

1. No - unless you are claiming any losses to be carried forward (your own expenses and not the trading allowance)  .  

2.  No as it is within the annual exempt amount  .

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2023 00:19:28 GMT by ED29
Hi, I tried to register SA1 (self-employed) to get my UTR number. However, when I entered all information and submitted, it said my personal details doesn’t match HMRC record (as I moved to a new home) and I went to a web page saying: “ Business Registration Change of personal details identified The personal details entered do not match the personal details held for you by HMRC. The personal details known to HMRC are: Name: xxxx Date of birth: xxx Your home address xxx If your personal details are incorrect or they have recently changed, you can update them in your Personal Tax Account Selecting 'Next' will use the personal details held by HMRC for the registration.” I tried to update my address several times by clicking the link provided in “Personal Tax Account”. But after I updated my new address, I went back to the same page above. After several looping back, I clicked “next” on the page above, then I went to an acknowledgement page saying my registration application was successfully submitted. My question is whether my UTR number will be sent to my old address by post? If so, I will be unable to get the letter as I have moved home. In this case, how can I update my new home address in HMRC record so that I can complete the registration and get my UTR? Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 30 Aug 2023 13:50:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
The letter would be sent to the address held at the time when the registration is processed.
If you contact our Income Tax helpline we can check if the record has been updated or update it ourselves:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.