Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 26 Mar 2022 16:17:53 GMT by Jacob
Hello, I'm a US citizen resident in the UK and have done some self employment contractor work for a US company. I just filed my US taxes and have to pay self employment taxes and social security taxes on that work for the last year. On my UK self assessment, can I use that social security and income tax I paid to the US as credits for UK taxes I owe? Or do I just have to pay the taxes twice on that income? Although I think the US UK tax treaty should mean I don't get double taxed. Thanks
Posted Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:40:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You may be taxed on your foreign income by the UK and by the country where your income is from.

However you may be entitled to claim tax relief against the income already taxed in the USA.

Please see the information on claiming Foreign Tax Credit Relief.:

Tax on foreign income   .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.