Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 01 Jan 2023 12:48:55 GMT by FirthView
Hi: I received distributions from a non-transparent non-reporting offshore fund. The HMRC Investment Funds Manual IFM13356 seems to make clear that like gains on these funds, any distributions are also treated as "miscellaneous foreign income": "this income is taxable as miscellaneous foreign income [...] and the tax rates applying will be those applying to such income." - IFM13356 On the self assessment tax return, SA106 Box 41 should be used for reporting gains, as the description makes clear reference to the disposal of offshore-funds. SA106 Box 41 has the description: "Gains on disposals of holdings in offshore funds (excluding the amounts entered in box 13) and discretionary income from non-resident trusts " However, for income, it references "non-resident trusts" which is less clear to me. Should distributions paid from these non-reporting non-transparent offshore funds also be put in the same Box 41?
Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 11:32:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Please refer to further guidance here:

Income and benefits from transfers of assets abroad or from Non-Resident Trusts (Self Assessment helpsheet HS262)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.