Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 07 May 2023 16:56:04 GMT by amelia0404
Hi, I moved to Switzerland in January 2023 and began renting out my flat in the UK from 7 Jan 2023. I left my UK full time job in December now tutor out here (circa £1000/month) whilst trying to get a freelancing business of the ground. 1) I have to complete a self-assessment tax return as a landlord. As my UK rental income is below the personal allowance limit, would I need to pay any money? I know I will still have to complete the return as a formality. 2) Do I have 'foreign income'? As I understand, I am a resident in Switzerland now for the foreseeable and will pay taxes here, so I think I should select 'no'. Can anyone clarify? If I've missed anything or if anyone has any useful info or links please let me know. Thanks
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 13:54:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If you are due personal allowances and your profit is below these, no tax will be due. As a non resident, your Swiss income is not foreign income so you will select 'no.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.