Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 07 Apr 2023 16:55:55 GMT by Goal
Hi, I have some saving accounts overseas and have an account with Interactive Broker. I earned some interests (less than £2,000) in these accounts. I started my full-time job and earned less than £8,000 in this tax year. I am eligible to apply for split year treatment and I sold an overseas property after becoming the tax resident. Can you please advise other than SA100, I have to complete: i) SA102 for income as an employee in the UK, even though my income in this tax year is less than £12,570 ii) SA106 for foreign income in saving accounts iii) SA108 for reporting capital gain, even though Based on your calculator, my Capital Gains Tax to pay for the 2022 to 2023 tax year is £0.00, after deducting allowance and PRR iv) SA109 for the split year treatment Thank you so much.
Posted Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:47:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The SA108 is still required as the value is over £49200.

As you are filling in the return to claim split year treatment, you will declare all the income earned since arrival in the UK, including interest.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 13:19:34 GMT by Goal
Hi Thanks for your advice. Can you please clarify I will declare all the income earned since becoming tax resident of the UK, instead of arrival in the UK? Can you please also advise whether I should file SA106 if I earned some interest in my foreign bank account? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2023 14:22:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You will declare all world-wide income on your self assessment tax return, from the date you became resident in the UK.  
The SA100 guidance notes advise that if your untaxed foreign interest is below £2000.00, you can enter the figure in box 3 of SA100.
If it is more than £2000.00, you will need to report it on SA106.
If your foreign dividend income is below £2000.00, the figure can be entered in box 6 of SA100.  
If your foreign dividend is more than £2000.00, you will need to report it on SA106.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.