Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:15:44 GMT by shaky01
I wrote to HMRC recently and informed them that I no longer use my property as a rental, so my self assessment will end on the 11th of December, they replied buy saying i have to pay £630.85 by January and £680,35 in April , i have even been online and filled the form in to end my self employment , but it still says on my self assessment online , that i have to pay twice this year , I should only own from last April up until December 11th
Posted Wed, 19 Jan 2022 10:24:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You should contact Self Assessment to ensure the record has been closed and any future amounts reduced
if your income stopped during 20/21 tax year.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Jan 2022 17:18:39 GMT by shaky01
Hi thanks for the reply, I have done about 2 weeks ago explaining that i no longer let the property out , I am yet to receive a response , can I put my solicitors fees and estate agent fees against my last payment as my outgoings from my property because it came out of my earning when I sold the property
Posted Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:31:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 10

You can only claim these if they were part of the rental when the property was available for rent or being used for rent.

If these were incurred as part of the sale then they would be allowable expenses against any capital gains tax.


Posted Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:47:59 GMT by shaky01
Ok I see , when my tenants moved out on the 11th of December , I moved in for 2 reasons , 1 because it needed repairs and re-painting and 2 because I didn't want to leave it empty while i still owned it , does me living thee now make any difference to the amount of tax I pay on the sale
Posted Fri, 21 Jan 2022 13:05:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

If you had another home that was your main residence, you would only be able to claim private residence relief from 11th December if you made a nomination for this.

You can find further guidance here:

CG64485 - Private residence relief: only or main residence: two or more residences: right of nomination

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.