Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:00:11 GMT by
Dear HMRC, I receive a monthly allowance from my family (including sisters and brother) overseas to help me pay rent and living costs. The monthly allowance is deposited in my bank account overseas. Is this monthly allowance taxable in the UK? Will I have to file SA106, Foreign in my Self Assessment? M y family has a flat overseas that they rent out. If my family pays my monthly allowance from the bank account they receive rent income, will this be treated as my rent income? I do not own any share of the flat. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:20:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

There are no tax implications on the giving or receipt of cash gifts, but you may wish to speak to inheritance tax regarding any inheritance tax implications
How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances and
Inheritance Tax: general enquiries
You may also want to review the guidance at How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances
This is not classed as rental income for you.

 Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.