Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:47:13 GMT by Jenny Channing
Hi - Can anyone confirm if I can accrue my allowable rental expenses. I paid for a new kitchen, decoration, and electrical work on a flat I bought. These are allowable expenses, but i would like to recognise the cost over 5 years, to reduce my tax bill in the coming years. Can i do that? or do i need to recognise the full cost in the year of the expense? Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted Tue, 19 Jul 2022 13:55:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You cannot claim the cost of the kitchan as a rental expense.

This is a capital expense that would be claimed to reduce any potential capital gains when you sell the property.

Other expenses need to be claimed in full in the year that they are incurred.

Refer to guidance at :

Work out your rental income when you let property   .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.