Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Sep 2022 15:31:02 GMT by Sally Wong
Hi I’m a BNO visa holder. Currently studying a bachelor degree in the UK. I do not have a job now, but I have some stocks on my oversea bank account, also I bought them before I came to the UK. Do I need to report tax?
Posted Fri, 09 Sep 2022 16:01:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Sally Wong

As you are treated as resident in the UK for tax purposes, HMRC can tax you on your world-wide income.  
Foreign dividends should be reported to HMRC.  
However,  if you are a basic rate taxpayer, and your combined UK and foreign dividends are less than £2000.00 or if you are a higher rate taxpayer and your combined UK and foreign dividends are below £1000.00, then the dividends do not need to be declared.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.