Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 02 Nov 2021 13:56:19 GMT by Aoife
Hi there, I realised I did not need to pay tax on extra earnings and submit a self-assessment tax return on year ending 5 April 2019 (as it was a few of hundred pounds). I submitted a form on the 12 Sep 2021 saying I didn't qualify for self-assessment. The estimated completion was 04 Oct 2021 but the progress still says "Your form is taking longer than estimated to process". Today is November 2nd. On the 19th of October I was sent a £100 penalty for not completing the tax return. I called HMRC on the phone to discuss. She said I was past the date where she could cancel the penalty even though I sent the form within the 3 month period. She wasn't sure what to do as she doesn't deal with the "online form department". Which seems a bit crazy as it advises me to call that number if I want to contest the penalty? She said to wait and see and give the online form people more time? But the progress date hasn't updated and I also cannot see the form I orginally submitted even though it says: "If you sent us a form online, it can take a few hours before you can see it here." Any advice would be helpful Kind regards A
Posted Wed, 03 Nov 2021 12:56:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi

If the form was submitted online we should be able to view it, if you do not meet criteria and submitted the form within 3 months of issue we should be able to remove you from SA if you don't meet the criteria.

I would contact Self Assessment again as we should be able to view this form:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thankyou.

Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.