Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:47:39 GMT by Sydney
I moved to the UK from the US in August 2021. I have been employed on a PAYE scheme so have paid my income tax in the UK that way, but I have retained some investment accounts in the US. I paid tax on these accounts when I filed my US tax return, but my it's been my understanding that I still need to register for Self Assessment to report that income to HMRC. I haven't been able to register for Self Assessment online so was filling out the "paper" form to register, but I wasn't sure what reason to select for why I require Self Assessment -- is it because I have taxable foreign dividends or capital gains tax to pay--or both? I earned ~$4500 in total dividends and ~$15k in capital gains across these accounts over the US tax year. (And if it is because of taxable foreign dividends, what date do I use for when I started receiving dividends? I've had these accounts for much of my life.) Please let me know if I can clarify further -- thank you!
Posted Tue, 13 Sep 2022 14:20:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
It will be both.
Use  the date you came to the UK as the start date.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.