Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 20:17:55 GMT by Dc1010
I’m new to self assessment and need some help. If anyone can answer this question or point me in the right direction to any resources etc I have two jobs; Job 1 - Employed Job 2 - Self Employed - Voluntarily VAT registered Car 1 - Salary Sacrifice though Job 1 (Work use + Personal) Car 2 - Car Lease for job 2 (Business + Personal use) This so far is my understanding I can claim 50% of VAT back due to some personal use on car 2 I can claim 100% of the lease payment as a business expense even though there is some personal use on car 2. (If correct do I deduct the VAT portion or use the full monthly amount to calculate the expense) - which box in self assessment do I account for this expense I can use milleage allowance on car 1 as a travel expense on job 1 I am not allowed to use mileage allowance on car 2 as a business expense but can account for actual costs of fuel etc. I then pay Income tax on; Job 1 Income + Job 2 Gross Profit or - Loss Minus Expenses for Job 1 Thanks for any help
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 08:13:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

A self assessment tax return comprises of the main tax return (SA100) and several supplementary pages Self Assessment tax return forms

You would need to complete SA102 for employment and SA103 for self employment.  You can use SA103S, if your turnover is less than £85000.00.  

It's possible that you are confusing VAT and expenses.  VAT is separate tax to income tax and is not covered in this forum, nor shown in a self assessment tax returns.  

As self employed, you have to claim vehicle expenses for the proportion of the mileage used, wholly and exclusively in the performance of your self employment duties, you can find guidance here-

Expenses if you're self-employed

You may wish to contact the VAT helpline here

VAT: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.