Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 11 Sep 2021 21:59:21 GMT by emtp
Hello, I am filling a self assessment for 20-21 only because of the high income child benefit charge. I am a PAYE employee. I am quite confused with the underpaid tax section: "Amount of underpaid tax for earlier years included in your tax code for 6 April 2020 to 5 April 2021 (from your PAYE Notice of Coding): £ 95.60 Is this figure correct?" I have received a letter indicating that this is the amount and that my tax code was changed during the year 20-21 in order to retrieve this amount of tax via my employers PAYE. When I see the calculation of the final charge, apart from the amount of the child benefit, I see that those £95 are been counted in too in the final amount. Since my tax code was amended in order to get this £95 through the payroll, I am expecting that HMRC has already gotten this money. How do I avoid paying those twice? Thank you in advance
Posted Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:32:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

I would expect you to only get taxed on this once, If the amount was not declared on the return then you would get the 95.60 taken off your tax bill which would refund the amount paid.

If you have submitted your return you can contact our Self Assessment department after 72 hours and we can check the calculation to confirm.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.