Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:09:14 GMT by
Three times today I have been on hold for over an hour and then it cuts me off. Need to speak to someone regarding a payment plan. When I try to do it online it says I have to file my return...I've done that!!! This is my first year of doing this and its very confusing and stressful
Posted Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:10:34 GMT by
I have been trying to set up a payment plan with HMRC . I have been ringing them everyday and waiting for over an hour . I am at work the whole day and call centre closes at 5. HMRC keep sending me letters . What am I suppose to do ? Any advice will be appreciated . ( I can’t set up a payment plan online and have to speak to an advisor)
Posted Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:16:37 GMT by
The same as others I have been told to call because I cannot set up a payment plan online for some reason, however can’t get through and am cut off. Can HMRC admin confirm we will not be charged a late payment penalty??
Posted Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:00:51 GMT by
Calling for days and days on end. Either cut off after 30 mins, 1 hour 13 minutes, or immediately after confirming my details I am given a goodbye message. Cannot set up payment plan online, needs to be over the phone but cannot get through. So worried about penalties and interest.
Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 10:58:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Stella Bottai,

You can contact our Self Assessment  payment line to discuss a payment plan on 0300 200 3822.

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 11:03:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi Ohiocheoya Oseni-Momodu,

Sorry, our helplines are very busy at the moment.

The best number to call to discuss a payment plan is 0300 200 3822.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 11:10:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi Nicky Williams,

Please keep trying to contact us on 0300 200 3822 and we will be able to help you. 

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 12:14:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You can contact our payment helpline directly regarding a payment plan on 0300 200 3822 .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 15:19:06 GMT by
Hi, I’ve been on hold for a total of 7hours over the past 3days. I no longer have access to an email address that I originally used to sign up to HMRC, I have updated my email address, registered and reregistered… every time I log in it’s keeps saying “you are not signed in to the right account”. I cannot talk to anyone and now I have late fees when I started this in good time. I just need to talk to someone! Please help.
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 12:03:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 30
Hi Louisa Rolfe, 

If the payment hasn't been taken, please contact our Self Assessment payment team who can check the position regarding the payment.

The number to call is 0300 200 3822.

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 12:17:53 GMT by P J
Hi all, Just a note that I was also on hold to talk to someone and frequently got cut off and was not able to talk to anyone at HMRC to setup Payment Plan. However I was able to do it online on HMRC website. If you want to setup a payment plan you might want to check your eligibility online and if determined you are eligible it will guide you through the process. It was very easy. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 12:21:26 GMT by
I can only conclude that you do not read the posts on this forum. People are saying they are unable to get through on the phone ........ and your reply is to phone? I think the people who are complaining about being unable to get through on the phone already know the number, but thank you for your help.
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 12:40:01 GMT by
I have been trying for the past 4 days to set up a payment plan to pay my Simple Assessment Tax but no one is answering the phone. The line is always cut off after 1 hour and 10 minutes. There is no way to do that on their website, so I am totally lost on what to do. Please help.
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 13:06:10 GMT by
Hi Prasad Joshi. If you managed to set up a payment plan for the Simple Assessment Tax, please could you let me know how you did it? Thank you in advance. Val
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 13:20:05 GMT by P J
Hi Valdenice, Go to https://www.gov.uk/topic/dealing-with-hmrc/paying-hmrc. Then click on the link "Pay your Self Assessment tax bill". Under contents you will see link "Pay weekly or monthly". Then scroll to mid way in the webpage and then click on the link in section "Check which payment plan is right for you Use this tool to check if you can set up regular payments towards your Self Assessment tax bill." Hope this helps.
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 13:24:48 GMT by
Why the message that I sent 44 minutes ago still waiting to be moderated?
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 13:31:00 GMT by
Hi I am trying to get through to set up a plan - I need more than 12 months so can't do it online. For 2 days I have been in a queue which cuts me off after 1 hour 13 minutes! Clearly many people have the same situation from this forum's posts. We are being told that wait times are less than 30 minutes to answer.......... Someone's not telling the truth! How can I get through? (Please don't give me the number I and everyone else is already trying)
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 14:00:58 GMT by
Again, after 1 hour and 10 minutes, the line was cut off. This have been happening since Monday. What a joke.
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 14:53:41 GMT by
Hi Prasad Joshi. Unfortunately my tax is the Simple Assessment one. When I followed your steps they ask for a Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), which I don't have.
Posted Thu, 02 Feb 2023 15:03:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi SErgiu Hriplivii,

You can set up a payment plan online if you have filed your latest return, owe less than £30,000 and are able to pay this off within 12 months.

Guidance can be found here: 

If you cannot pay your tax bill on time

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.