Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:04:31 GMT by
I need to discuss a Self Assessment payment I have made but they say it has not been received. I have proof of online banking transaction. How am I supposed to tell them if I cannot get through on help telephone line. I cannot find a contact email address for them or a postal address. It is ludicrous! This is the 3rd day I have called. Waited 1 hr 20 mins first time to be cut off at 6pm as they closed. Then yesterday they cut me off, after loads of recorded messages, as no one free to take a call! Today on hold half an hour already. Is there any other way of contacting them?? Help please.
Posted Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:32:49 GMT by
I tried on Tuesday at about 2pm. What with all the preliminaries I got through in 25 minutes. Though it said it was 'very busy', perhaps that's not a bad time of day to try. The 'sorry to keep you waiting' voice repetition isn't nice to hear, but all I can say is persist. If you can do other work while waiting (despite the distracting voice), that also helps. At least the call is free. Good luck
Posted Fri, 29 Apr 2022 13:08:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Amanda Jones 
The only methods currently to contact regarding this would be with our SA helpline or by writing.
We would require full details of when the payment was made, reference used when making the payment, where the payment was made from and where the payment was made to.
Our helpline is very busy at the moment:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Fri, 29 Apr 2022 16:39:05 GMT by
I have been trying to get through for about 3 weeks to no avail! Tried various times of the day & most of the time just get cut off after being in a queue for approx 45 mins. It's very frustrating that there doesn't seem to be any other way of contacting them. Does anyone know if I have been paying emergency tax through agency work if it will sort itself out automatically & I will be able to get a refund. No one has ever asked for my p45?
Posted Wed, 14 Sep 2022 11:14:26 GMT by
I have been on hold today for over 2 hours. Why cant we leave a number and then they get back to us or at least an email address.
Posted Thu, 29 Dec 2022 11:16:26 GMT by
I have been trying to get through on the phone to HMRC for several days. Average waiting time around 45 minutes. Each time when I have got through I have started to talk to an agent and then they have cut the call. I am desperate to sort out my current emergency tax code and this is becoming increasingly frustrating with no seemingly other way to get help from HMRC. I have no idea what else to do!!
Posted Thu, 05 Jan 2023 11:02:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Apologies if you are having issues getting through to us to review the code. Unfortunately we can't view your tax code on this forum and you will need to contact our Income Tax team again.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 10 Jan 2023 17:48:23 GMT by Craig Booth
Been trying to get in contact for months, no one ever answers and phone constantly cuts off after 45 minutes. I wont be paying any charges incurred for the delays its an absolute joke. Quick enough to dish out the charges but wont answer phones to get them sorted.
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 08:44:47 GMT by
I've been trying unsuccessfully for days to get through on the phone - costing me a fortune. My self-assessment asks me to confirm a PAYE underpayment but I don't know what it's for. Clearly I'm not agreeing it's correct unless I know what it is. Can anyone - anyone at all - help please?
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 14:05:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Any underpayment that is prepopulated when you complete the return should have been included in your tax code for the year. Our helplines are busy at the moment. If you call before 10am you can get through quicker.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Jan 2023 17:49:20 GMT by
Unable to get through on the phone - have been holding on for almost an hour, expecting to be cut off any minute as on previous attempts.
Posted Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:58:14 GMT by
I have been taxed an additional £600 due to an HMRC mistake but cannot get through to anyone to get the money owed to me back. I’m assuming that the direct debits that will bounce and issues around this will all be compensated for by HMRC! This would assume it is possible to ever get through! HMRC when/if you read this a BIG thank you from me and all my family for the stress you cause.
Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 17:53:53 GMT by
This is Tuesday 24th January 2023 at 17.40 I tried all day Friday, All day Monday 23rd and all day today on hold for long periods ie ranging from 46 mins to 1 hour 13 mins, several times a day then it says goodbye and cuts me off. I am seeking help to set up a payment plan to pay my tax bill. I tried the online system 5 times now providing varied required information to id me but I always get " we can not identify you, please call to speak to an advisor". Is HMRC open for business ? I just want to pay my tax. What is going on. I hope I do not get a penalty for late payment because I can not contact HMRC. I will happily go to court with all my screen shots of the messages on my pc from the HMRC website and phone records of three days on hold and being told goodbye. No wonder the country is on its knees if the system that gets the money to fund and run it is broken. What can I do.
Posted Wed, 25 Jan 2023 09:41:16 GMT by
Same as above, tried calling HMRC for a wrong penalty imposed. Trying to get a review to discuss but on the phone for an hour and had to disconnect as at work.
Posted Thu, 26 Jan 2023 15:24:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

You can find guidance on setting up a payment plan, including how to set it up online, here:

If you cannot pay your tax bill on time

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 27 Jan 2023 16:28:29 GMT by
I have been calling for two days, multiple times a day, often for an hour at a time before receiving a message saying 'thank you for your call, good bye'. I set up a Payment Plan and direct debit on the 17th January and received a letter confirming it a couple days later. My account has not been charged yet and my tax record has not been updated to show my payment plan. I want to figure out why my payment has not been taken via direct debit and if I should transfer it manually? Will I keep getting emails to pay the full amount even if I have a Payment Plan? Please advise.
Posted Fri, 27 Jan 2023 16:57:02 GMT by
Been trying to talk to someone about tax code just got married my wife is retired and on a pension I'm still working iv Been trying for 3 weeks now every day keep getting told I'm in a queue then cut off . Its a joke
Posted Mon, 30 Jan 2023 13:43:26 GMT by
I am trying to reach HMRC to set up a Payment Plan – the online portal won't let me do this online and it says I have to contact an agent via phone at this number 0300 200 3835. I haven't been able to speak to anyone. I have been trying for several hours. Each time I call, I get cut off after exactly 1 hour 13 min waiting time. Please advise how to move forward given it is proving impossible to reach HMRC. Thanks
Posted Mon, 30 Jan 2023 14:13:21 GMT by
I have been calling all possible numbers 0300 200 3310, 0300 200 3822 (given by an HMRC staff) and now 0300 200 3835 - I am unable to setup payment plan online and after waiting for 45mins+ the line goes "thank you for your call, goodbye" Can someone in HMRC kindly get in touch as I have made some payments and its not showing on my account yet and need to complete setting up a payment plan.. The online portal for setting up a payment plan says to call on 0300 200 3835 and no one picks up.
Posted Mon, 30 Jan 2023 14:24:35 GMT by
I've been trying to get through on the phone for over a week as I can't make the deadline tomorrow. I know I'll incure penalties, but just want a note made that I'll start paying it off as soon as I have made the last payment in my current payment plan next month. I've tried to borrow the money, but everyone I know is as skint as I am. Just can't get through to anyone to explain

You must be signed in to post in this forum.