Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 09:14:20 GMT by Arturs Mihalonoks
Hi. Last night got email that i have tax refund and cheque will be send in 14 days.bus as i have moved abroad i would like to get refund to my bank account. But can't find where to enter my bank details. Thanks
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 10:36:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
HMRC will never send notifications of a tax rebate / refund by email. You can find examples of phishing emails and bogus contacts at Examples of HMRC related phishing emails, suspicious phone calls and texts Is the email about a tax refund?
You should run any antivirus software as a precaution if you have opened an attachment.
If you have disclosed personal details please forward brief details to HMRC email address -
If you think you have been the victim of an email scam and have disclosed your bank details, please tell your bank / card issuer as soon as possible. You can get further advice and information about phishing and online security at: HMRC phishing and scams: detailed information
You can get more information on 'Phishing and Scams' from the website"
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:34:09 GMT by Arturs Mihalonoks
Sorry my bad. It doesn't says about refund. I get email about my tax calculation. I log into my hmrc account and there it shows i've got tax refund. But it says cheque will be send to me. Is it possible to nominate my friend in uk to get that cheque on his name and deposit it to his bank account? And i see that i got tax refund for 2022/23 year. And cheque was sent to me in july 2023( to uk address) but exactly that time i moved back to my country and didn't received that it possible to request new/ replacement cheque? So basically i need request replacement cheque for 2022/23 year- is that possible? And second cheque for 2023/24 ( leaving uk tax rebate) is not ready yet but will be sent out in 14 days- that's what my hmrc profile message says. So i want to nominate my friend in uk to get them on his name. Is it possible? Many thanks
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:29:18 GMT by Arturs Mihalonoks
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:39:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
To cancel the repayment and issue to a nominee you would need to contact HNMRC to review. Details of how to contact HMRC at Income Tax: general enquiries
Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:09:38 GMT by
I have received confirmation that I am due a tax refund and have made the claim on line. I completed the bank sort code and account number for my Wise account (UK). It then asked whether the address the bank uses for my account is in the UK....I answered No because I live abroad but I'm now wondering if it meant the bank address (which is in the UK). Does the question mean my address or the bank's?!
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 14:29:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi ShaunH,
It relates to your personal address.
Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:12:42 GMT by Shivani
Hi, I am working in the UK on PSW for last 2 years and leaving in June. My last working day is on 31st may and I am leaving within a weak. I am planning on closing my bank account before I go as I won’t be returning to the UK. Can I claim a tax refund before I go using a P85? And if not how do I receive my payment if I have no bank account here and have no family members living in the UK to use as a nominee.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:18:05 GMT by SANDRA SOBREVILA
Hi, I have just been notified that I am eligible for a tax refund, but I haven't been asked for any bank details and the refund has been issued directly by cheque. I am currently living abroad and I can't cash in the cheque. Is there a way I can request for the refund to be transfered to my bank directly? Many thanks,
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:44:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Shivani,
You can submt the P85 but HMRC will not be able to review until we received your final pay and tax details from your employer.
If possible we would advise leave your UK bank account open until the repayment can be processed and repaid.
If you close the bank and no nominee in the UK then a cheque will be issued to your new address overseas. 
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.