Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 04 Oct 2022 22:21:26 GMT by RTS Chung
I am a tax residence for the period from 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022. During this period, I only had overseas income in April 2021. I had this one month income because I was a partner in an overseas law firm, a limited liability partnership. I moved to the UK in August 2021. I also have some small interest income from both overseas and UK bank saving accounts. A. How should I answer this question? 1. Did you work for yourself between 6 April 2021 and 5 April 2022? You may have worked for yourself as a sole trader, a business partner or a director of a limited company - even if you had another job as well. Is it possible that the answer is “No”? B. If the answer to the above question is YES, then I will need to send a self assessment. To do that I have to register for self assessment first. I tried to fill in the online form via government gateway. The form is: self assessment: register a partner for self assessment and Class 2 NICs (SA401). After I signed in, I need to select one of the following options: - I want to tell HMRC that I am in business and need to register for a new tax or tell HMRC that the company is now active - I want to sign up to use the online service for a tax for which the business is already registered None of these options is suitable because the law firm is not a UK law firm and it is located in overseas. If I press the “next” button on this page and on the next page, it said that I cannot register limited liability partnership by using this service. It also direct me to return to the HMRC home page. Please advise what I should do. Thanks!
Posted Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:16:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you are still unable to register this please contact our Self Assessment team:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.