Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 29 Oct 2022 08:49:47 GMT by Greg Ford
I'm due to retire in 2029 My SP summary tells me that I have 29 years of full contributions. There is a gap year - 16/17 - which could apparently be paid up for £475.50 by 5 April 2023 I called the "number" and spoke to a lovely lady. My question was, "how do I physically pay this shortfall?". The lovely lady, before answering this question, started to say that if I were to talk to HMRC it might be possible to pay said shirtfall based upon Class II NI. Just as the lovely lady was speaking the call failed (I was calling from Italy). So then, questions: 1) How does one "speak" to HMRC? Are we talking letters? 2) Assuming I'm resident in, for example, Italy may I pay Class II NI Conts? 3) If I were to commence the payment of Class II contributions would they contribute to the years remaining from now until 2023? 4) I seem to remember HSBD sending my statements for something called "Contracted Out", that was from way back when I worked full-time in the UK, up until 2004. What is that all about and is it of any use?
Posted Mon, 07 Nov 2022 14:24:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you are living abroad the first step for you to apply to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions and to find out which rate you would be eligible to pay (class 2 or class 3), would be to complete an application form CF83.

You can find this here:

Social Security abroad: NI38

This leaflet provides all the information you need and the CF83 is at the back of the leaflet. It needs to be completed in full and posted to HMRC at the address shown on the leaflet.

If you have any queries about completing the application form, you can contact HMRC here:

National Insurance: non-UK residents

Before deciding to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions, we would also advise you to contact the Future Pension Centre at DWP to confirm if paying voluntary National Insurance contributions for certain years will actually increase your pension.

Contact the Future Pension Centre

You can find guidance on contracted out queries here:

Contracted out of the State Pension

This explains what contracted out is, which is when your employer deducts class one National Insurance contributions at a lower rate. The Future Pension Centre will also be able to explain how paying at the contracted out rate has affected your UK pension entitlement.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.