Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 22 May 2023 13:25:17 GMT by Bibi
Hello. I have my UK state pension paid to my French bank account in euros. How do I know the amount in sterling to be able to declare it on my self assessment form? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 09:47:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Bibi,

As you pay your State Pension into a French bank account, it would suggest that you are resident in France.
If this is the case, you are not taxable in the UK on your State Pension.
If you are resident in the UK, you would need to phone the Self Assessment helpline, who would be able to confirm the amount in pounds sterling.
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 09:54:36 GMT by Bibi
Thank you for your reply. I am resident in France. Does this mean I do not have to declare the pension on my self-assessment?
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 11:42:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If you are resident in France for tax purposes, your state pension will be taxable in Frand and not the UK.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 11:57:01 GMT by Bibi
Hi Yes, I understand that and have declared it here in France. I just wanted to check if I even had to mention it on my self-assessment form. For example, in France you have to declare all worldwide income regardless of what country the income is taxed. I'm assuming from your replies I do not have to detail it in my UK self-assessment. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 17:01:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
If you are non UK resident, you will only declare the UK income and as such there is no need for your to declare the French pension.
Thankyou.
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 19:05:12 GMT by Bibi
Hello. I think there may be some confusion. I am a non UK resident but the pension I'm referring to is my UK state pension. It is paid direct to my French bank in euros.
Posted Wed, 31 May 2023 13:36:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you are non UK resident there is no need to declare the UK pension here. You can see guidance here:

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 31 May 2023 13:46:48 GMT by Bibi
Many thanks. It is now clear to me.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.