Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 25 Jan 2023 14:53:02 GMT by ckcheung
I am a retired civil servant from Hong Kong. Each month, I receive pension from the Hong Kong government. From my understanding, there is a double taxation agreement between UK and Hong Kong. In the agreement, the pension is only taxable in Hong Kong and I have paid tax in Hong Kong. Also, I have no income in UK. In this case, do I need to report the pension to UK tax authority and file the self assesment form? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:58:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi ckcheung,

As the pension is only taxable in Hong Kong, you do not report it to the UK and if this is the only reason for a tax return then it is not required.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.