Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 17 Apr 2023 20:20:57 GMT by
If I am solo staking on the Ethereum network, there are 216 epochs per day which attract income of approximately 12k Gwei (approximately £0.02 GBP) each of these are spaced out 6 minutes and 40 seconds apart. When declaring income from staking on my self-assessment should I treat the income from each epoch as a single transaction and as per CG59510 using the lowest daily closing price to value each one? This would be 78,840 transactions in a given tax year. OR Should I sum the income from 216 daily epochs into one line item and use daily closing price to value the income? OR Should I treat the income as income when it is swept from the validator into the withdrawal account? This happens once every 5 days or so. Additionally, as the price when the tokens are received forms the cost basis as regards cost pooling and capital gains tax - which method from above would also be most appropriate and acceptable to HMRC?
Posted Sat, 29 Apr 2023 07:48:31 GMT by
It seems like this thread has been passed over or slipped through the cracks as it looks like everyone else that posted around the same date has received a response - can someone advise as it will inform how I record both income and cost pooling over the coming year. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 03 May 2023 14:35:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi coppertax,

If your staking activity does not amount to a trade, the pound sterling value of any tokens awarded will be taxable as income (miscellaneous income), with any appropriate expenses reducing the amount chargeable.

The charge is on income arising in the tax year; this is normally the year when the income is received or made available to you

HMRC's position on valuation is set out here:

BIM100150 - Miscellaneous income: calculating the profits

CRYPTO21000 - Cryptoassets for individuals: Income Tax: contents

Reasonable care should be taken to arrive at an appropriate valuation for the transactions using a consistent methodology.

Details of the valuation methodology should be kept. 

As stated above, the sterling value of the tokens at the date of receipt (or date made available) will represent the taxable income, so it would be reasonable for this sterling value to represent CGT cost.

CRYPTO21200 - Cryptoassets for individuals: Income Tax: staking

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.