Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 14 Apr 2023 13:55:42 GMT by DJLEW
Just to confirm previous posts best way to get 18 digit Ref is via the web chat. Type Advisor and you get a real person. I already had a forecast (that took 14 months!) so process was very slick. Got the 18 digit code within minutes (suggest you copy and paste it somewhere) and then paid from Bank Account via HMRC web page. Whole thing from typing "Advisor" to completing payment and getting confirmation email took less than 20 minutes.
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 11:33:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Mohammad Qureshi,

You can contact HMRC in writing to request an 18 digit reference, however, please be aware that the area who would deal with this query currently have a timescale of 29 weeks.
The address you can contact is;
National Insurance and Contributions Office
Please be aware that if you are looking to pay for contributions from the 17/18 tax year onwards – you will have longer than 31st July to make these payments.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 22:02:27 GMT by
Just to confirm other posters that I too used the Digital Assistant (2 days ago) and got my 18 digit reference number and HMRC’s bank details to pay via internet banking. Type Adviser in the box provided- may need to do this several times. I already had my forecast which they prefer since any monies paid to HMRC in error cannot be refunded.
Posted Sun, 30 Apr 2023 11:44:25 GMT by
To maximize my pension I need to pay Voluntary NI Contributions for 2022 - 2023. I have an 18 digit number that I used successfully last year. How can I find out what the 2022 - 2023 cost would be so that I can make a payment before I retire this July?
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 09:05:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Heather57,

You 18 digit reference can be used for making a payment for the 2022-2023 tax year.  
The amount for the 2022-2023 tax year is £824.20.
More information can be found here; Pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 12:39:58 GMT by Go here for digitial assitant and save yourself hours of waiting on the phone.
Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 10:13:59 GMT by
To maximize my state pension I need to pay Voluntary NI class 3 Contributions for 2022 - 2023. I have an 18 digit number for 2021-2022 . How can I find out what the shortfall for 2022 - 2023 would be so that I can make a payment before I start claiming state pension in December this year? I checked my Personal Tax Account today for 2022/23, it is still currently shown as" Your record for this year is not available yet"
Posted Mon, 22 May 2023 15:33:25 GMT by
I asked a similar question, see above, and was told the amount for the 2022-2023 tax year is £824.20.
Posted Mon, 22 May 2023 15:35:24 GMT by
On 23rd February this year,I sent in a postal request to pay 3 years Voluntary contributions. I have yet to receive a reply but my cheque was finally cashed on 4th April. However, to date, my N.I. Record has not yet been updated to reflect these changes. I plan to take my pension in early July. Should I be getting concerned?
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 06:59:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi Zhong En Han,

The first thing you will need to do is to contact DWP.  The reason we require you to contact DWP is because they will be able to advise you what years it is best for you to pay, and if you will benefit from paying them.  
If you are below pension age you should contact future pension centre on 0800 731 0175. If you are over pension age you should contact the pension service on 0800 731 7898 DWP phone lines are open between 8am and 6pm
Once you have this information you should contact HMRC for a new 18 digit reference number.  They will also be able to advice on what you need to pay for the missing years.  
You can then use this number to pay online, at your bank, or via online banking. The contact number for HMRC is 0300 2003500 (lines are open between 8am and 6pm.
Thank you
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 14:24:46 GMT by Caroline Hutchinson
Another frustrated customer here! Can't get through on ANY of the numbers... have been trying on & off since March! I know I want to make up a year without having to get advice from The Future Pensions Centre. I do have a cheque book so can send a cheque quoting my NI number, with a covering letter etc to the address that's been advised without having to have spoken to the FPC? Please someone tell me that I can. This is doing my head in!
Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 18:34:30 GMT by
i followed the advice with online chat line advisor and it worked too. YES! FOLLOW THIS ADVICE! it took 15 mins to complete the enquiry, receive ref number and details of bank account to make payment. very easy- so much better than trying to get connected on the phone line. just make sure you have your personal details ready, NI number etc, a list of the years and payments you want to make, and the total you want to make. then just need to wait for the payment to be made i guess!
Posted Thu, 16 Nov 2023 12:46:17 GMT by
I requested help through the online chat service. I have recently left full-time employment and want to ensure that I have my full 35 years of NI including current tax year 23-24, so it seemed to me that the simplest way to achieve this was to set up a Direct Debit to replace the payments that my previous employer will now not be making. The online adviser refused to give me the 18 digit reference, telling me I had to contact the Future Pensions service to find out what gaps I had in my record. I have the HMRC app on my phone, which gives me clear and complete information on my contribution record, so as far as I’m concerned I don’t need to call anyone. As it is, I’ll just wait to the end of the financial year, wait for the system to tell me I’ve not paid enough for 23-24, and pay it as a lump then (assuming I can get through). This is not what I wanted to do, and I consider this a very poor service.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.