Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:03:30 GMT by Enoch Yim
Hi, I have moved from HK to UK on 9th October 2020. After moving to UK, I still working for the organisation in HK as an employee until the end of Dec 2020. Then I am working as a freelancer with the same organisation starting from 1st Jan 2021. I have some questions. In the self-assessment tax return, session Tailor your return Page 1. In the tax year 6 April 2020 to 5 April 2021: Were you an employee (or director or office holder) or agency worker in the year to 5 April 2021? (In my situation what should I choose? Yes or No?) As my employer is in HK and they haven't office in UK and haven't taken off any Tax in UK. If the answer is yes, In the session of Fill in your return, how can I fill in the Employer's PAYE Reference? (e.g None?) And in the field of UK tax taken off xxx pay: Can I enter Zero? Or do I just need to fill in the foreign income for the income from my employment between 9th Oct 2020 to 31st Dec 2020 and the freelancer income? Thanks for your advice. 
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 15:01:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You would select yes for employee to cover the period  of employment and then select self employment for the period December onwards.

As a non UK employer, you can enetere 961/01 as the PAYE reference.

You will leave the tax paid field blank.

The foreign page will only need to be completed if tax has been deducted in Hong Kong and you are looking to claim foreign tax credit relief.  

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.