Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 10:35:16 GMT by Craig Spacey
Hi I’ve never claimed tax relief against charitable donations. I’m done so in my 21/22 return but how do I claim for previous years? Thanks, C
Posted Thu, 07 Apr 2022 13:27:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Craig Spacey.

If you completed tax returns for the previous years, please see

Self Assessment tax returns

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 01 Jul 2022 14:39:55 GMT by Nour Shaker
@HMTC Admin 20 - What if I never completed tax returns for the previous years? Would that mean it can't be done now?
Posted Mon, 04 Jul 2022 11:01:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 24

If you are within Self Assessment, you can claim tax relief on your Charitable Donations in previous years by making an Overpayment Relief claim.    

Self Assessment Claims Manual                                                                            

 If you are not required to complete Self Assessment tax returns, you can call or write to HMRC to claim relief for the previous four tax years.

Claim Income Tax reliefs

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.